PSI Malawi is affiliated to Population Service International, a Washington DC based non-governmental and nonprofit making organization. PSI Malawi mission is to support low income and at risk Malawians to lead healthier lives through the provision and promotion of quality products and services, in line with the Government of Malawi goals. To accomplish its mission, PSI Malawi is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacant position;
Position: VMMC Surgeon – Blantyre
Reporting to the Service Delivery Coordinator, the VMMC Surgeon will be responsible for following duties and responsibilities;
- Provide quality and safe medical male circumcision services to clients in the fixed, outreach and mobile sites using dorsal slit method and where possible device technique.
- Screen VMMC clients and ensure that they are eligible for surgery.
- Provide STI screening and treatment services for clients attending male circumcision services presenting with STI.
- Document and manages circumcision related adverse events as per the national standards.
- Conduct day 2 (48hrs) and day 7 follow up review of all circumcised clients. Ensure active follow up is done for all clients missing follow up visits.
- Assist the team lead in managing and keeping clear records of facilities based commodities and drug stock cards, and equipment inventory while ensuring timely re-stocking and regular stock taking.
- Work with the team lead to ensure timely and proper documentation of client files and registers according to M&E protocol. This includes electronic entry of clients’ data in program data base.
- Participates in team level monthly planning and quality improvement team (QIT) meetings including taking of minutes for reference.
- Participate in CMEs, regular data auditing and documentation of best practices.
- Work with the team lead to ensure team work, compliance to quality standards, and work-ethics are maintained in the team.
- Participate in the development of monthly team operations work plan and schedules.
- Conduct immediate post-op review before discharging the client.
- Work with team lead to prepare and share monthly reports using MOH and project reporting tools.
- Adhere to the weekly facilities coverage schedule to ensure VMMC services are provided on rotational basis at the outreach, mobile and fixed sites.
- Work with the team lead to liaise with project demand creation team to ensure consistency in clients flow and complementary efforts in tracking clients that missed follow up visits.
- Participate in all team specific QA and QI activities including facilities based CMEs where possible.
- Keeps clients information in strict confidence.
Qualification, Knowledge, Ability and Skills
- Applicants must have diploma in Clinical Medicine or Registered Nurse and registered with Medical Council of Malawi or Nurses Council of Malawi with 2 years proven experience in providing continuous medical male circumcision services
- Trained and certified as VMMC Surgeon/provider
- Excellent computer skills
- Understanding of HIV/AIDS programming in Malawi
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of device (Shang Ring) circumcision is an added advantage
- Skills to analyze, interpret and assist to solve difficult problems arising from the team and organization’s cultural diversity
- Be self-starter, effective team player and demonstrated verifiable result-oriented track record
Mode of Application
Qualified candidates with the specified qualifications and experience should submit their application letters together with a detailed curriculum vitae with names and contact details of at least three traceable referees by 26th March, 2021, to:
The Head of Human Resources and Administration,
Email: [email protected]
Please indicate “VMMC Surgeon/Nurse Counsellor/Family Planning Provider” as the subject line. Only applications sent through email will be entertained.