Malawi Legal Aid Bureau, established under Section 3 of the Legal Act of 2010, is a national public institution mandated to provide legal aid to persons with insufficient means. T
he scope of the mandate of the Legal Aid Bureau consists of four main tenets, namely legal advice; legal assistance; representation in any court, tribunal or similar
body or authority; and provision of legal education and information.
In a bid to effectively and efficiently deliver its mandate and reach out to as many Malawians as possible, the Bureau invites applications from well qualified candidates to fill the following vacant positions:
Job Title : Assistant Legal Aid Officer (8 positions)
Grade : K
Reporting to : Senior Legal Aid Advocate
Location : Mzimba, Rumphi, Salima, Ntcheu, Mchinji, Dedza, Mwanza and Blantyre
1. MAIN JOB PURPOSE
To support the work of Legal Aid Advocates and make notes during court appearances by the said advocates. The incumbent’s main responsibility will be to carry out research on matters criminal and civil in nature and prepare materials for trial. He or she will be responsible for giving advice and assistance to clients seeking the services of the
Malawi Legal Aid Bureau.
2. KEY JOB ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Interview and take statements from persons seeking legal aid,
2. Draft legal documents including but not limited to assisting in drafting
legal opinions, court documents, among others,
3. Provide limited legal advice to persons of insufficient means,
4. Provide legal literacy services to the general public,
5. Accept service of legal documents and filing cases in court,
6. Compile quarterly returns in Civil and Criminal cases, and
7. Carry out any other function as assigned by management from time to time.
2. JOB SPECIFICATIONS AND PERFORMANCE FACTORS
1. Minimum Academic, Professional Qualifications and Work Experience
1. Diploma in Law from a recognized institution;
2. Those with degrees will have an added advantage.
3. At least one (1) year experience offering paralegal services in both civil and
2. COMPETENCES AND APTITUDES
The incumbent must have ability to:
Interpret Government policies and programs
Interact with clients, general citizens and other stakeholders providing
legal aid services at the level of operation
Plan, organize and implement activities
Undertake research and analyse data
Write analytical reports on activities carried out
Effectively use different computer packages
Be an effective team player with an open mind and contributor
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates should submit application letters, updated curriculum vitae with three (3) traceable referees, copies of certified educational and professional certificates to the following address:
Malawi Legal Aid Bureau,
1st Floor Shire Building,
Off Paul Kagame Highway,
PO Box 675, Lilongwe.
Or Email to: [email protected]
All applications should reach the Director not later than 5:00 pm, Friday, 15th
Please use position title in the subject line. For hand-delivered applications, write the position applied for on the envelope.
Start receiving jobs alerts directly to your email