Positions: Underwriters (2 Posts)
Underwriter- Malawi – (21000003)
Job Purpose and Key responsibilities
The Jobholer will be responsible for assessing risks in accordance with laid down underwriting procedures in the company and ensure effective and efficient service delivery to customers
The role will report to the Supervisor, Underwriting.
- Review all applications for insurance –determine the profiles of risks presented to the company for insurance and assess their acceptability or otherwise.
- Ensure all related activities to underwriting are properly coordinated and enforced
- Prepare certificates and cover notes where necessary
- Preparing policy documents, debit & credit notes & endorsements and authorising them within authority limits
- Ensuring premiums are settled as per company policy
- Assess the loss ratios and ensuring that only quality business in invited for renewal
- Reviewing renewal terms, ensuring renewal notices go out on time and following up renewals to ensure high retention rate
- Ensure timely preparation and dispatch of policy documents
- Review of suspense items and follow up on outstanding requirements with a view to reconciling them on time
- Timely processing of quotations and tender documents, credits and refunds.
- Maintain high standard level of customer service – responding to general underwriting enquiries (walk-in clients, telephone and emails)
- Liaise with intermediaries and direct clients on issues relating to their policies
- Implement credit control policy and ensure that premiums are debited and collected as required
- Deliver on performance requirements as defined in the departments’ strategy map, balanced scorecard and Personal Scorecard.
Accountable to the Supervisor, Underwriting
Required to liaise and work closely with the other departments as may be necessary
Knowledge, experience and qualifications required
Knowledge, Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree (insurance option preferred)
- Four years’ experience in underwriting in a busy insurance office
- Professional qualification in Insurance (ACII, AIIK)
Technical and functional competencies;
- Knowledge of insurance industry and concepts
- Knowledge of underwriting processes and procedures
- Knowledge of insurance regulatory requirements
- Presenting and Communicating Information – Speaks fluently; expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; presents effectively; responds quickly to others ‘reactions and feedback during conversations; projects credibility.
- Working with People – Shows respect for the views and contributions of team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and pro-actively shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
- Adhering to Principles and Values – Upholds and encourages ethical behaviour and departmental values; demonstrates integrity; encourages individual responsibility towards the community and the environment; models the organisational values during every day interactions.
- Analysing – Analyses numerical data and all other sources of information, breaking them into component parts, patterns and relationships; probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be part of a much larger system / process / problem.
- Planning and Organising – Adheres to and monitors clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
- Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations – Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets and models high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves projects goals.
Primary Location: Malawi-Blantyre-Blantyre
Organization: International Insurance Business
Job Type: Permanent
Shift: Day Job
Contract Type: Full-time
Job Posting: 29-01-2021
Unposting Date: 12-02-2021
Number of Openings: 2
How to apply