The International Potato Center is seeking to recruit highly qualified Temporary Research Technicians (3 Posts). Position: Temporary Research Technicians (3 Posts)
The Position: The Temporary Research Technician will be required to assist and support the DeSIRA Project which aims to develop climate-resilient integrated technological innovations, to enhance understanding of the opportunities and constraints for uptake of these innovations by farmers, and to inform policy makers and scaling partners about the potential of these technologies to contribute to climate resilience and sustainability.
He/she can be posted to Chitedze in Lilongwe; Makoka in Zomba; Chitala in Salima and Mbawa in Mzimba and report to the Research Associate.
- Implement and translate research protocols into fields experimental design and layout
- Support CGIAR scientists and research associates to establish on-station experiments to evaluate, validate and demonstrate various integrated technology options and crop specific technologies.
- Carry out field and weather data collection.
- Mobilize labour and other resources demanded by CGIAR centers to ensure timely completion of experiments fields and crop management.
- Organize technology field days and field evaluation sessions.
- Carry out day to day monitoring and supervisory visits to the on-station experimental sites to ensure high quality of research outputs.
- Coordinate with DARS focal persons and station farm managers in carrying out research activities.
- Develop action plans to facilitate implementation of experimental activities at the co-location research stations.
- Contribute to the development of annual work plan, technical reports, project success stories.
- Coordinate with CGIAR scientists and research associates to ensure agronomic practices are carried out timely.
- Carry out soil sampling based on the protocols.
- Conduct data entry.
- Produce monthly reports on the progress of research activities.
- Undertake any other related duties arising from other CIP projects and programs in Malawi.
What are we looking for?
- Degree or diploma in agronomy, agriculture, soil science and other related fields with a minimum of 3 years of experience working with public and/or private organizations
- Good understanding of experimental designs, field layout and data collection
- Ability to use MS Office excel as a data management tool
- Good interpersonal skills
- Self-starter and ability to work under minimal supervision
- Ability to work with a team of multidisciplinary people
Why should you consider this opportunity?
- CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP’s mission contributes to the SDGs: 1,2,3,5,8,13 and 15.
- CIP is a member of the CGIAR, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
What are we offering?
- Temporary position, limited to Malawi nationals and permanent residents only.
- The Temporary contract will be for 6 months period only
- Exciting career opportunity in an international organization.
- Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
This position will NOT work or have contact with children and/or vulnerable adults
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply.