As a federal enterprise, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its objective in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ operates in more than 130 countries around the globe. In Malawi, GIZ has been working for more than 50 years. Malawi is a priority for German international cooperation and currently focuses on three priority areas: education, health and private sector development in rural areas. In addition to our work on these areas, we also work on public financial and economic management and social protection.
GIZ invites applications from suitable qualified Malawians for the position of Technical Advisor (f/m) on skills development and qualification with coordinating function the SEWOH global project ‘Employment in rural areas with focus on youth
Position: Technical Advisor (Skills Development & Qualification)
A. Brief introduction to the project.
The GIZ global project ‘Employment in rural areas with locus on youth (RYEY is part of the special initiatives ONEWORLD — No Hunger (SEWOH}, Commissioned by the German federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The global project implements country packages in Kenya, Burkina Faso and Malawi. All country packages aim improving the employment and income opportunities in the agri-food sector in rural areas with a special focus on the youth target group. The project applies the so-called integrated approach to employment promotion. This is an innovative approach which focuses on creating employment opportunities, improving employment prospects and link labor supply and demand in rural areas on the basis of specific needs and interests of young people, in order to improve their income and employment situation.
The focus intervention areas in Malawi are divided into four field of action: 1. Improved qualification of youth with a focus on women for the agricultural and agri-food sector 2. Increasing new and supplementary job opportunities through support to MSMEs, smallholders and start-up creation as well as development partnerships with the private sector 3. Improved framework conditions: integration of young people into rural labor markets through innovative (digital) matching activities and promote youth organizations 4. Transnational Knowledge and Innovation Management
In Malawi the project will be implemented in close collaboration with the Ministry of Industry and Trade (MolT). Implementation areas are to be explored and pursued nationwide, also considering possible synergies with other GIZ projects and stakeholders. There is no limitation to certain regions. The area around Lilongwe, especially Mchinji District, offers great potential, which is why this district is being considered as one of the first possible implementation regions.
The project is embedded in the portfolio of GIZ Malawi and will be aligned to the Malawi Growth and Development Strategy 2017-2022 (MDGS) Ill, the National Agricultural Policy (NAP) 2016, the National Youth Policy (2013) and the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Policy Strategy (2012-2017).
For the SEWOH global project RYE and its Country Project Malawi, the technical advisors will be mainly responsible for the following fields of action:
- Identify and select suitable implementation partners (with focus on ATVET), foster and lead strategic cooperation and communication with public and private partners and other donors
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of national and international consultants and service providers, mainly in the field of action 1 (improved qualification)
- Support the implementation of short-term qualification and technical, entrepreneurial and life skills development measures by the consultancy and ensure linkages to action field 2 (MSME, Start-up and small-holder business support) and 3 (matching, promoting youth organisations)
- Support the establishment of a national trainer pool
- Lead constant exchange with the CAA DP ATVET4Women Programme as well as other GIZ and int. Projects focusing on youth employment promotion
- Create linkages with (A) TVET and training institutions for technical and business/ entrepreneurship training
- Coordinate the internal planning and foster synergies in the implementation of activities between the three action fields of the project.
- Support the implementation of rational policies related to youth employment promotion
- Support the operationalization of institutional frameworks
- Support the projects cooperation with the political partners on all levels.
- Overseeing the implementation of the field of action 1 Improved qualification”
- Follow the international discussion on youth, jobs and employment promotion as well as promising interventions and keep abreast with current trends
- Ensure continuous exchange and coordination of implementation matters (content, trainings, material etc.) with related projects (e.g. GIAE, MIERA, CAADP ATVET4Women) within the GIZ portfolio and across
- Organize workshops, events, partner and stakeholder meetings
- Design and administer local consultancy contracts and make sure that all contracts follow GIZ standards; also support logistics and technical success of international missions and consultancies.
- Liaison with the stakeholders and partners of the RYE project
- Have a good knowledge of all stakeholders and partners involved and establish trustful and sustainable relationships
- Support relationships between stakeholders and partners as well as networking, cooperation and communication between all parties
- Support ‘marketing efforts’ among stakeholders for measures related La the integrated employment approach
- Foster relationships with (A) TVET centres and other institutions and structures (e.g. extension service) for qualification and skills development
- Support partners in their effort to improve their organizational capacities in order to strengthen capacities and qualification of the target group of women and youth, create employment opportunities and facilitate matching.
- Monitoring and evaluation of Youth Job and Employment promotion
- Actively contribute to the project’s M&E system as well as to the elaboration of a data base measuring the project’s impact
- Provide regular information and data relevant to the to the monitoring unit
- Advise and involve partners and target group in data collection relevant to the M&E system
- Actively contribute to communication materials (factsheets, success stories, articles for the newsletter, etc.)
- Tasks Support the project management in organizational and strategic questions
- Actively contribute to the global project’s knowledge exchange activities between country packages in Africa and partners as well as GIZ platforms of knowledge management (Sector network rural development in Africa, IDA communities, as well as the Malawi Cluster which is in process) Perform any other duties as required by your superior
D. Required Entry Qualifications and Competencies
- Relevant Master’s Degree (in Agricultural Studies, Development Studies, Economics, Social Science or any related field) from a recognized institution
- Profound knowledge on the agri-food sector, rural labour market constraints and opportunities as well as knowledge of the stakeholders in qualification and training in agriculture
- Knowledge of methods and procedures of the German Development Cooperation are an advantage
II. Professional Experience
- At least 5 years working experience in a similar position on employment promotion and particularly in the field of skills development and qualification
- Have proven project management experience, including the capacity to deliver results within agreed timeframes
- Have very strong organizational and networking skills and a good existing network within the agricultural and agri-food sector in Malawi
- Have a good understanding of monitoring and evaluation procedures
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and as part of an international team
- Fluency in written and spoken English and spoken Chichewa are a must, additional local languages and German are an advantage
- Good IT skills, especially Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point; ICT based applications as well as social media am an advantage
How to apply
Interested candidates meeting the above requirements should submit their applications, with a one-page cover letter demonstrating how they meet the above requirements, along with a detailed CV to:
The Human Resource Manager
P.O. Box 31131
Or email to:
Email: [email protected]
The closing date for applications is 7th August 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. GIZ is an equal opportunity employer.