The Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) is seeking an experienced Technical Advisor to lead HIV Prevention interventions for an upcoming program in Malawi. The program will provide technical assistance/mentorship and direct implementation of comprehensive, evidence-based and tailored HIV and TB prevention, care, support, and treatment interventions in established facilities in various provinces in Malawi.
This is a full-time position supporting an anticipated five-year project. The position is contingent upon award.
Position: Senior Technical Advisor – HIV Prevention
The Senior Technical Advisor will provide technical leadership and project oversight in the area of HIV biomedical prevention, specifically oral Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) and voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC) thereby finding alignment with government and donor policies and procedures.
- Design and lead project Continous Quality Improvement (CQI) initiatives to create demand and scale up of high-impact PrEP services at multiple service delivery points.
- Lead project CQI initiatives to create demand for and achieve coverage of VMMC
- Lead initiatives and technical assistance to increase uptake of PrEP preventative services by all eligible HIV negative priority subpopulations (Discordant Couples, AGYW, Negative Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women, Men), high-risk populations (FSW, MSM) and delivery of high quality and impact services
- Design and lead client-centered and tailored initiatives to increase uptake of VMMC among priority populations (men age 15- 29), including community and facility approaches that are sustainable and implemented with fidelity.
- Lead the implementation and scale up of the risk based screening tool that determines eligibility of those at highest risk.
- Lead the design of screening, uptake, and management strategies for PrEP, including persistence.
- Monitor uptake and persistence among facilities and districts to provide more intense support to those with lower uptake or persistence.
- Oversee and/or update PrEP, VMMC and linkage strategies, guidelines, in-service training approaches/curricula, standard-operating procedures and job aids as needed
- Provide technical assistance in PrEP, VMMC and linkage at national, provincial, district, facility and community level, including at youth-friendly facilities and on-the job training and mentoring.
- Participate in and provide technical assistance to national and regional PrEP and VMMC Technical Working Groups (TWG), task teams, workshops, and campaigns
- Lead the design of outreach interventions, including those that consider gender inequalities, stigma and discrimination of key populations, and economic barriers
- Coordinate and collaborate with the various PrEP, VMMC and linkage partners
- MS in epidemiology or microbiology or MPH; with clinical degree (MD, nursing) or PhD in Epidemiology or microbiology preferred.
- 10 years’ experience in implementing HIV programs, with at least 3 years focused in PrEP and 5 years in VMMC.
- Knowledge and experience in social, behavioral change communication
- Demonstrated experience with a mix of practical technical skills in VMMC and PrEP necessary for strengthening VMMC and PrEP service delivery at the regional, national, clinical or community-level.
- Skilled in at least two or more of the following technical areas: strengthening service delivery projects; training; pre-service education; performance and quality improvement; monitoring and evaluation.
How to apply
All interested and qualifying candidates should apply via the link below:
The Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) is an international non-profit affiliate of the University of Maryland, Baltimore that supports CIHEB to strengthen health systems and reduce the spread and impact of HIV/AIDS. Currently, MGIC has offices in Botswana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Zambia.
Our Core Values are at the heart of our mission to improve the human condition.
The closing date for receiving applications is 19th February 2021.