Reporting To: Head of Programmes
Job Location: Lilongwe, with travel to Blantyre and field sites (approx. 20%)
GOAL has been working in southern Malawi since 2002 and currently has a presence in four districts (Nsanje, Chikwawa, Machinga and Blantyre). GOAL’s global objective is to promote resilient well-being by: helping people to survive crisis; promoting optimal and resilient health; promoting food and nutrition security, and; supporting people to have sustainable livelihoods. GOAL maintains close working relationships with district authorities and relevant line ministries.
Description of the Role:
The Senior Strategic Partnerships Officer is a professional position that is managed remotely by GOAL Malawi’s Head of Programmes. Based out of GOAL’s liaison office in Lilongwe, the position is intended to facilitate the development of strategic relationships at national level and support GOAL’s business development efforts.
Facilitation of strategic partnerships:
- Identification of external stakeholders (including key government agencies, donors, potential consortium partners, coordination and technical fora, and private sector actors) of relevance to GOAL at national level;
- Support for the development and maintenance of organizational relationships with identified strategic stakeholders, including setting up meetings for GOAL senior staff and maintaining a database of key contacts.
Support new business development:
- Contribute to the updating/refinement of GOAL Malawi’s funding strategy.
- Development and maintenance of a database of donor contacts.
- Monitoring of new funding opportunities through websites, newspapers, and other media.
- Support for proposal development processes, including background research and written contributions to proposals as and when required.
- Support CD and HoP efforts that build the capacity of the wider GOAL Malawi team to engage in resource mobilisation and strategic partnership development.
- Coordinate with GOAL Malawi technical coordinators in new business development efforts
Increasing visibility of GOAL at national level:
- Facilitate representation of GOAL in relevant technical and coordination meetings at national level;
- Directly represent GOAL in interactions with external stakeholders (e.g. donors, UN, peer agencies and national government officials) on occasion as required;
- Support for reporting and communication with national level stakeholders.
- Operational management of GOAL Malawi’s Lilongwe liaison office;
- Line manage a GOAL driver based out of Lilongwe;
- Ensure all relevant GOAL and donor protocols and practices are understood and complied with, including specifically policies on fraud, whistle-blowing and zero tolerance towards corruption.
- Routine internal reporting, including weekly updates;
- Actively contribute to all GOAL Malawi strategic planning processes.
- At least 5 years’ work experience in humanitarian or development programming;
- Bachelors degree in social sciences, business, public administration or a related field;
- Professional qualifications in relevant subject;
- Experience in strategy development, programme design and resource mobilization;
- Familiarity with the requirements of major institutional donors, including Irish Aid, DFID, USAID and the EC is an advantage;
- Excellent interpersonal, motivational and management skills;
- English language communications skills;
- History of working effectively and respectfully with external actors, including local authorities, NGOs and civil society actors;
- Basic administrative experience including office management systems;
- Honesty, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Additional job responsibilities
The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit application letters, copies of qualifications and curriculum vitae consisting at least three references for similar work by 13th November 2020 to:
Email: [email protected]
GOAL Malawi promotes gender equality, therefore female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. For hand deliveries please address your applications to:
Human Resources Office,
P.O. Box 31807,