I. POSITION INFORMATION
Position title: Senior DTM Field Assistant
Position grade: G6
Duty station: Lilongwe, Malawi
Position number: TBC
Job family: DOE
Organizational unit: Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM)
Is this a Regional, HQ, MAC, PAC, Liaison Office or Country Office based position?: Country Office
Position rated on: (to be filled by Classifier)
Reports directly to: Chief of Mission
Number of Direct Reports: 0
II. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
In response to SADC Member State requests to improve capacities to collect and analyse migration related data to develop policies based on evidence and data to improve migration governance at the national and regional level, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) in close partnership with the governments, United Nations (UN), and non-governmental organizations (NGOs), has established a pilot project to support the availability of data related to regional migratory movements and needs of individuals passing through key transit points.
Under the direct supervision of the IOM Malawi Chief of Mission, and with the technical support of the Research Officer at the Regional Office, the incumbent is expected to perform the following duties:
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Facilitate the coordination of Flow Monitoring activities with the relevant national stakeholders, as well as with the counterpart in the IOM Zambia Country Office;
- Coordinate and monitor the process of data collection performed by the enumerator field staff;
- Carry out quality control and necessary correction of data collected in close coordination with the enumerator field staff and DTM colleagues at the country, regional, and HQ-level;
- Ensure the timely data entry of the forms/questionnaires and process them in IOM DTM data management system;
- Supervise enumerators adherence to agreed SOPs on data collection as per IOM guidelines;
- Utilize established mobile data collection tools and other tools that may be developed in the future;
- Ensure all data are kept safe and confidential applying IOM’s data protection principles;
- Support in the planning of field data collection activities by providing input in terms of logistics, schedule and security;
- Ensure timely collection of administrative documents such as attendance sheets for processing;
- With inputs from the DTM colleagues in country, regional, and HQ level, provide regular feedback to enumerators and senior enumerators on the quality of data collected;
- Participate in the recruitment, deployment, and training of enumerators;
- Identify and maintain relationships with local partners on the ground;
- Participate in the analysis, visualization and reporting of collected data for publication in various DTM products in coordination with country, regional, and HQ colleagues.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
IV. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree with four years’ experience in Statistics, Demography, GIS/Geography Social Sciences, or Development Studies, or
- High school degree with six years of relevant professional experience on the above field;
- Computer literate in MS office applications – Word, Excel, Outlook and Database applications.
- Experience in using ODK or KOBO or any mobile application which is used to collect data;
- Good knowledge of data collection techniques, including surveys, key informant interviews, focus group discussions;
- Experience conducting training and supervising enumerators / data collection exercises;
- Experience liaising with government authorities and other stakeholders;
- Experience in Information Management and producing analytical products using primary data collection techniques;
- Knowledge of IOM DTM packages is considered an advantage;
- Good knowledge of GIS applications and tools is an advantage;
- Good knowledge of Chipata – Mchinji border area is an advantage.
- Experience with international organizations, INGO an advantage.
Required (specify the required knowledge)
- Knowledge of Senga and Ngoni is considered an advantage
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Submit your application to:
The Resources Management Officer
International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Area 14, Plot No.156, Off Presidential Road,
Email: [email protected]
Closing date for submission is on 4th July, 2020. Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted.