Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is an international Catholic organization with a mission to accompany, serve and defend the rights of refugees and forcibly displaced people.
Founded in 1980 by the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) under the leadership of Fr Pedro Arrupe SJ, JRS is now at work in over 56 countries.
JRS facilitates involvement of individuals and communities and promotes regional and global cooperation and networking on behalf of refugees and the forcibly displaced.
JRS works cooperatively with other organisations and agencies in order to achieve its mission. It seeks works in situations where no one else is working, where it can bring a particular expertise to bear, where its presence will attract others, where it can build its work on an existing network and where its presence can send a larger message to decision makers and others.
JRS welcomes collaboration with Jesuits, lay people and members of other religious congregations. Indeed, throughout its history JRS has fulfilled its mission thanks to the collaboration of volunteers and staff committed to the service of refugees and the forcibly displaced.
JRS in Malawi is looking for a highly motivated and qualified candidates to fill the following positions tenable in Dzaleka Dowa:
POSITION: SECONDARY SCHOOL HEAD TEACHER (1 POST)
The Secondary School Head Teacher is responsible for the overall leadership and supervision and implementation of the school action plan, and is under the supervision of the Education Project Coordinator and works closely with the teaching staff members.
- In liaison with all staff members of the secondary school, formulate school action plan for an academic year and term and make sure that planned activities are implemented, monitored and evaluated.
- With the deputy Head Teacher and Heads of Academic Departments, ensure that each teacher is supervised at least once in a month and all recommendations discussed with the teacher.
- Write and submit monthly reports (narrative and educational statistics) in a timely fashion.
- Participate and contribute in and during education sectoral meetings
- Ensure that all necessary and required educational records are available in the school and duly updated.
- Build the capacity of Academic Departmental Heads and involve them in the planning, supervision and implementation of school activities
- Assign responsibilities to teachers for clubs, committees, indoor and outdoor sporting activities.
- Hold a meeting once a month with the PTA Executive Committee, Academic Departmental Heads and the Deputy Head Teacher to discuss successes and challenges.
- Disseminate information from JRS management and Ministry of Education to teachers and vice-versa.
- Communicate in advance to the Education Project Director human and material needs and requirements for the school.
- Evaluate school action plans and address issues that can deter education access and quality (dropouts, absenteeism, girl’s education and pupil teacher ratio)
- Interview teachers and other relevant support staff and report to the Project Director for Schools staff performance and conduct.
- With the Deputy Head Teacher, to carry out performance evaluations of teachers under your supervision;
- Participate in the planning and preparation of the annual budget for the secondary school.
- At least a Bachelor Degree in Education or related fields
- Be self-starter and able to work under minimal supervision
- At least 10 years of teaching experience. Teaching experience at both primary and secondary level will be an added advantage
- At least 3 years’ school leadership experience
- High level of creativity and innovation in contemporary approaches in teaching and learning to be able to effectively coach and mentor teachers
- Computer knowledge, including Microsoft Office suite, Internet, Google Docs, Google Sheets and electronic database management
- Ability to work in a rural setup and refugee camp.
The application should include the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) in English including three (3) professional references with their contact information, phone and email address and copies of certificates.
- A cover letter describing the candidate’s desire and motivation to work for JRS and how his/her qualifications and experience are a good fit for this position.
Please send all applications to the Country Human Resources Coordinator,
Email: [email protected]
and copy: [email protected] by the 24th of July 2020.
Please note that due to an urgent need, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
No late applications will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.