Exciting and challenging job opportunities have arisen at the Malawi University of Science and Technology (MUST) through the MUST Institute of Industrial Research and Innovation (MIIRI) for suitably qualified and experienced individuals who would like to contribute to the growth of the University.
1. THE ORGANISATION
MUST is a new University and the fourth Public University established by the Government of Malawi in December, 2012. It was officially opened on 24th October, 2014. The University is situated in the Southern part of Malawi in the beautiful highlands of Thyolo District about 27 kilometres East of Blantyre City. The University would like to engage suitably qualified persons to fill the above position.
2. THE PROJECT
The Malawi University of Science and Technology through MIIRI in collaboration with Mzuzu University through the Centre for Excellence in Water and Sanitation and the North Carolina State University in USA, have secured funding from the National Academy of Science under the Partnerships for Enhanced Engagement in Research (PEER) Programme. The Institutions will implement a project tilted “The missing link of women in higher education in Malawi: The lack of representation of women in STEM and sanitation education” for 2 years. The overall objectives of the project is to (i) Evaluate the causes of the gender gap in higher education within the field of sanitation and STEM in sub-Saharan Africa, specifically Malawi and (ii) To identify specific steps that can bridge this gap. Specifically, the project will aim to (a) evaluate gender inequity in higher education within the field of sanitation (b) Identify the causes of gender inequity in quality STEM education in Malawi (c) assess the barriers to enrolment and retention in the sanitation and STEM field with respect to gender, religion, income, and local cultural beliefs about women’s roles in society and (d) strengthen institutional capacity to deliver quality sanitation and STEM education
3. PURPOSE OF THE JOB
This job exists to assist in the effective and efficient delivery of research related activities in the MIIRI within the University.
4. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Among others, the Research Assistants shall be expected to perform the following duties.
• Working collaboratively with the Head for MIIRI and Project Co-PI in advancing various innovations
• Collecting project related data
• Supporting training programs
• Advancing sanitation technologies
• Compiling reports for project deliverables
• Reporting updates verbally and in written form to Head for MIIRI
• Providing operation support on the implementation of project
• Maintaining up-to-date files and records of project documentation
• Providing logistical support for workshops and other meetings as tasked by Head for MIIRI and Project CO-PI
• Supporting the timely preparation and submission of progress reports, donor reports, project reviews and any other required project reports
• Willingness to work in any other duties assigned by Head for MIIRI and Project Co-PI from time to time.
5. QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor of Science degree in any related field obtained from NCHE recognized Institution.
• A minimum of 1 year working experience
• Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
• Keen attention to detail and an aptitude for problem-solving
• Excellent computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite
• Collaborative working style and team-player attitude
• Able to work independently with little supervision
• Highly motivated with a strong work ethic
• Reliable, trustworthy, and committed to the team’s success
Twenty-four-months (24 months) renewable based on best performance and availability of donor funding.
7. METHOD OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications and requirements should submit their applications, together with detailed curriculum vitae plus copies of certificates not later than 15th February, 2021. The curriculum vitae must include the following: the candidate’s names in full; date of birth; academic qualifications; work experience; and names and phone numbers of three traceable referees. Applications must be submitted to:
Malawi University of Science and Technology
P.O. Box 5196
Email: [email protected]