We are seeking a highly qualified and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Project Officer for an ongoing Governance Project in Malawi to be based in our Lilongwe office. The position is for an initial fixed-term of 2 years, renewable, based on performance, relevance of the role, and availability of funds.
Position: Project Officer (Governance Specialist)
The Project Officer will work hand-in-hand with a Project Manager in implementing project interventions. The project has the primary goal of strengthening the performance of the Parliament of Malawi. The Officer will also contribute to other work under the Institute’s Governance thematic area.
- Provide technical contributions to the design and implementation of interventions under the Malawi parliament strengthening project.
- Lead the day-to-day implementation of specific project activities.
- Lead the implementation of the project’s monitoring, learning and evaluation (MLE) framework, including preparing regular project MLE reports and convening discussions of these reports by the project staff and partners.
- Track the implementation of project work plans.
- Contribute to the preparation of the bi-annual project progress reports.
- Write regular blogs to share experiences and lessons from the project’s implementation.
- Contribute to scientific and other publications that document and share learning from the implementation of the project.
- Contribute to fundraising and proposal writing for new work under the Institute’s Governance thematic area of work.
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Masters’ degree in political science or other development-related field with at least two years of relevant and practical experience in governance work.
- Excellent writing skills, in both scientific and policy-oriented evidence products.
- Experience in conducting political economy analysis is required.
- Some experience in monitoring and evaluation is desirable.
- An in-depth understanding of governance and its central role in development.
- An excellent understanding of the functions and operations of parliaments in general, and of the operations of the Malawi parliament in particular.
- An in-depth understanding of the public policy and legislative processes, and the role of research and other evidence in these processes.
- Knowledge of the African context and how this influences governance and other development issues.
- Political and cultural awareness.
How to Apply
Candidates meeting the above Essential and some of the Desirable qualifications and experience should send the following:
- A motivation letter illustrating their suitability against the listed qualifications, competencies, and skills
- An up-to-date CV including three relevant referees
Applications should be sent to:
Email: [email protected]
not later than July 31, 2020 with the title “Project Officer – Governance Specialist’’ as the subject line. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
AFIDEP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process