Global Action in Nursing (GAIN) at the University of California San Francisco endeavours to elevate and improve nursing and midwifery in Malawi, Liberia, and Sierra Leone. A key objective to achieve the goals of GAIN in Malawi is the provision of nursing and midwifery scholarships for upgrading Nurse Midwife Technicians (NMTs) committed to practice in Ministry of Health facilities.
Position: Project Officer
The Project Officer for Kamuzu College of Nursing (KCN) Upgrading Nursing Scholarships shall be responsible for the following duties:
Prior to admission of students:
- Distribute advertisement for upgrading scholars and answer inquiries from applicants.
- Assemble and coordinate scholarship selection committee with guidance from KCN Principal.
- Conduct selection in fourth quarter (Q4) annually for new KCN upgrading scholars with support from the scholarship selection committee.
- Notify applicants of acceptance or rejection.
- Prepare budget for admitted nursing scholars.
- Collect and file signed scholarship agreements.
During the academic year:
- Conduct inauguration of new KCN scholars in first quarter (Q1) annually.
- Procure and distribute supplies to new scholars in Q1 annually.
- Work closely with the Academic Deans and Heads of Departments to support students academically and emotionally during study at KCN.
- Monitor student academic progress twice a year and provide counselling as needed.
- Prepare and share monthly updates on all scholarship issues with GAIN.
- Host regular bi-annual gathering with enrolled nursing scholars.
- Arrange with institutions for student attachments.
- Give students guidelines of expected outcomes from clinical placement.
- Attend meetings relevant to the job.
- Respond to students concerns about teaching and learning.
- Assesses suitability of learning environment.
- Participate in curriculum review and development.
- Meet regularly with Ministry of Health to advocate for a deployment strategy to areas of greatest need for upgrading scholars’ post-graduation.
- Track all graduated scholars and provide bi-annual updates to GAIN evaluation team via the scholar tracking spreadsheet.
- Collect pictures and videos to share with donors on monthly basis.
- Monitor deployed GAIN scholars in all sites during the service agreement years and report to management those who have defaulted.
- Create and support regional scholar alumni networks (chapters) to facilitate peer psychosocial and career counseling.
- Coordinate tracking of scholars with existing GAIA scholar tracking program.
- Attend quarterly Human Resources for Health Technical Working group meetings, and other national meetings related to health worker training and deployment and prepare notes to be shared with KCN and GAIN colleagues.
- Provide guidance in terms of programme extension to other sites.
Education, Qualification and Experience
- Registered Nurse Midwife.
- Bachelor of Science degree.
- Master’s degree in Nursing or Midwifery.
- At least two years Teaching and Clinical experience at tertiary level.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send letters of application and CV not later than February 12, 2021 to:
Private Bag 1,
Email: [email protected]