Habitat for Humanity Malawi (HFHM) is a non-profit Christian organization affiliated with Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI). By providing people with adequate, decent and affordable housing solutions, HFHM contributes to the improvement of living conditions for low income and vulnerable groups in Malawi.
HFHM is looking to employ the following position:
Position: Project Accountant
Department: Finance and Administration
The Project Accountant is member of the Finance Team and is responsible for ensuring that all financial transactions relating to assigned restricted projects are recorded, tracked and accounted for in a timely manner in line with specific procedures and policy requirements of HFH Malawi and UNDP.
Reports To : Finance and Administration Manager (FAM)
Supervises : Project Finance Officer
- Responsible for consolidating timely contractual and management financial reports related to the assigned restricted projects in a specific format and accurate manner with strict deadlines.
- Maintains an accurate up-to-date monthly and quarterly disbursements schedule.
- Accounts Payable and Receivable: Ensures that accounts payable and receivable for the assigned restricted projects are properly reconciled and that payments and disbursements are received or made in a timely manner.
- Performs internal audits of project sites as needed and as requested by finance team.
- Ensure accurate coding of requisitions in conformity with reporting, donor, function, project, program and budget requirements.
- Review travel requests and expense reports for the assigned restricted projects for accuracy and compliance.
- Review and monitor outstanding advances report by paying close attention to ensure that they are liquidated per HFHM policy. Follow up on advances that have not been settled after 10 days of issuance.
- Reviews and submits monthly bank reconciliation reports relating to the assigned restricted projects.
- Monitors and submits advance, commitment, and grant reports as applicable.
- Develops and submits other project reports related to finance issues based on requirements of donor with strict deadlines.
- Monitors and reports on partner/vendor payment schedules and obligations
- Prepares monthly Budget versus Actual reports and works closely with Project Manager /Coordinators, of the assigned restricted projects to review reports and ensure clear and accurate budget variance justifications and to prepare budget projections as needed and requested.
- Conducts regular cash flow analyses to ensure availability of funds and the accurate maintaining of bank balances
- Prepares and reviews project cost data prior to loading in Sun Systems.
- Maintains file management systems for soft and hard copy documentation
- Establishes guidelines for maintaining sub-grant and other partnership files and activities as applicable.
- Maintains files on grant/procurement/subcontractor documents and modifications as applicable
- Ensure request for payments have appropriate approvals.
- Compiles backup documentation for all project-related transactions, and ensures completeness and appropriate review and approvals are documented.
- Ensures that any reclassification is done and booked in the system.
- University Degree in Accounting from a recognized university/ institution or part of any of the following qualifications: ACCA, CPA, CIMA
- Minimum of seven years of general accounting experience in a reputable organization preferably an international NGO.
- Minimum of four years of grant accounting experience which includes complex donor funded projects such as multilateral or bilateral funding.
- Computer literate and familiar with accounting packages on the market; Sun Systems (highly required), Microsoft Word and Excel abilities, and Microsoft Access.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to train and supervise other financial staff on computer packages and other financial management.
- Detail oriented and organized
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Collaborative team player
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications, CVs with three traceable referees and a cover memo not later than 31st August, 2020 to:
The Finance and Administration Manager
Habitat for Humanity Malawi
P O Box 1638
E-mail to: [email protected]