Job Title: Programme Officer – Private Sector Development
Job ID: 32019
Closing date: 12/o8/2020
The UNDP in Malawi is implementing a Private Sector Development Programme (PSDP) that aims to contribute to Government’s efforts to accelerate the country’s transition to a productive, competitive and resilient nation. The development of this programme is consistent with SDG 8 to: “Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all” and SDG 9 to: “Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation. The PSDP deploys a suite of instruments including the Malawi Innovation Challenge Fund (MICF), the Growth Accelerator and newly created instruments (Impact Investment Fund and Business Incubation) as part of the continuum of the entrepreneurial journey, from early to growth stage enterprises.
The programme will cover the period 2020-2023 to meet milestones contributing to positioning Malawi as a productive, competitive and resilient nation. Largely, the programme will use a combination of different instruments over this period to support the private sector inclusive of Micro, Small and Medium-sized enterprises to access financial support, technical advisory services, business development services and business incubation services for increased productive capacities, innovation, business growth and acceleration, and job creation. The programme will also work with the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism to address some of the challenges related to the business enabling environment.
Under the direct supervision of the PSD Programme Analyst and the PSD Specialist, the Programme Officer will provide high level assistance to project management team in the implementation of project activities in accordance with UN Financial and Project Management Rules and Procedures and, in doing so, contribute to the efficient implementation of the programme
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure efficient and effective project management:
- Provide support in the day-to-day implementation of the PSD programme
- Pro-actively support in coordinating programme activities.
- Maintain project work plans, procurement plans in accordance with project management principles.
- Ensure that planned work-plan/schedule is aligned to programme’s results and resources framework. Assist with logistical and administrative arrangements in support of experts and/or missions.
- Follow up on inputs, quality assurance decisions and ensure the achievement of the expected results.
- Ensure financial reports, payment vouchers, Government and combined delivery reports, and other project correspondences are accurately filed.
- Contribute to regular reports (monthly, quarterly and annually) on the implementation of the activities related to the reporting period
- Perform duties in accordance with UN and Government policies and procedures.
- Support timely implementation of strategic programme management decisions, audit follow-up actions and PSD — related strategic policy and legal frameworks.
- Support with conducting joint spot checks and preparation of reports on the same.
Ensure knowledge management and monitoring and evaluation:
- Support process towards partnership engagement and identification for the implementation of the programme
- Assist with logistical arrangements for programme management and quality assurance meetings such as Steering Committee Meetings and Annual Donor Meetings.
- Draft minutes, agendas, correspondence, memos, letters, talking points, etc.
- Support with arrangement for joint monitoring visits to projects sites.
- Maintain a filing system with records of quarterly reports, financial reports including payment vouchers and delivery reports, and project asset inventory.
Perform other duties and task as requested related to the implementation of the programme
- Demonstrate commitment to UNDP’s vision, mission, values and strategic goals;
- Good analytical abilities in the areas of private sector development
- Experience working under minimum supervision and tight deadlines;
- Experience working collaboratively in a team structure in a multicultural environment;
- Respect for Diversity: Understanding of the United Nations system, operations and structures.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Economics or Business Administration
- A minimum of two years work experience, with at least a year in PSD related programmes or projects.
- Experience and skills in project planning and implementation of technical assistance activities;
- Familiarity with project cycle management
- Good understanding of UN/UNDP policies, procedures, programming modalities is an asset;
- Experience in multi-donor projects and donor reporting is an asset;
- Demonstrated experience of working effectively with the private sector and with Government Ministries;
- Good organizational and communication skills.
- Fluency in English and Chichewa