The Malawi Economic Justice Network is a civil society organization in Malawi whose main objective is promoting participatory economic governance and advocating for the plight of poor people in Malawi. Major work involves analysis and monitoring of the national budget and ensuring that government and donor policies focus on the majority poor and that, citizens get value for money in all government and donor activities. MEJN operates with a secretariat which oversees the corporate strategy, which co-ordinate functions of MEJN’s 27 district chapters in respective regions.
The network is currently receiving applications for some vacancies that has arisen in programmes and its Finance and Administration Department from suitably qualified individuals, as follows:
Position: Programme Manager
The Programme Manager; responsible for the smooth operation of all day-to-day activities carried out by his/her assigned Project/Programme. The PM works closely with all members of staff in the programmes department and will report to the Director of Programmes.
Specifically, the PM will perform the following duties:
Programme Planning and Management:
- Coordinating the planning and implementation of assigned program activities
- Initiating and implementing policy research particularly focusing on poverty implications of various economic policies and programmes as related to MEJN’s thematic focus areas
- Participate in departmental planning and develop monthly operational plans and progress reports of implementation for assigned programmes/projects
- Reviewing progress and advising on necessary adjustments to MEJN’s programmes
- Organize work in a way that maximizes resources, promote team spirit and increases the chances of achieving a successful operation.
- Take an active role in developing of concepts and proposals in liaison with the Project Officer (responsible for fundraising) and the Director of Programmes
- Take active part in the discussion and development of the MEJN’s Strategic, Operational Plans, and Annual Reports
Narrative Reports, Financial Accounting, Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Where MEJN is sub-granting to partners, ensure that the partners submit narrative and financial reports as per the Donor and MEJN requirements and standards.
- Where MEJN is sub-granting to partners, work with the MEJN team to ensure proper accounting procedures are in place within partner organisations.
- In collaboration with the MEJN programs staff, prepare high quality progress, final, and comprehensive completion reports to donors timely
- Monitor both the staff under supervision and the work, offering supportive supervision at all times.
- Monitor the progress of the job at hand, making sure it is proceeding according to the plan and complying with all of MEJN’s policies and budget guidelines
- Be a liaison for key stakeholders such as government ministries and departments, the legislature, donors and other key players at all levels including the civil society networks, championing the evidence-based advocacy
- Advising MEJN Management on any other important areas of engagement that would enhance the MEIN Mandate, Mission and Vision.
- Provide insights to the programmes department on possible areas for project/ program development and interventions
Applicants should at least possess the following
- A primary Degree in Development and Social Sciences, Public Policy, Economics for any other relevant field
- Masters in the relevant field will be an added advantage
- Not less than 3 years+ in senior leadership experience preferably within development and humanitarian organization
- Excellent knowledge of Programme development and delivery approaches, tools, methodologies and best practices
- Comprehensive knowledge in designing, developing and implementing economic governance programmes
- A fundraising Enthusiast
Reporting to : Director of Programmes
Duration of contract : Two Years (Renewable)
Application Deadline : 28th October 2020
Duty Station : Lilongwe, Malawi
How to apply
Qualified applicants are requested to send their CVs with 3 traceable referees and a cover letter through emails to the following email addresses:
Email: [email protected] copying [email protected]
before Close of Business (COB) on 28th October 2020. MEJN is an equal opportunity employer and encourages qualified women to apply