Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. In Malawi, MSF works in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and the local community in integrated HIV/AIDS in Chiradzulu District and Cervical Cancer projects Blantyre districts.
MSFF is looking for its Chiradzulu office
Position: POC LAB CLERK (1 POSITION)
Workplace : Chiradzulu
Type of contract : 8 months Fixed term contract
Start date : Immediate
Main purpose of the position
Assisting in the lab organization and clerk activities with patients, according to nurses and doctors pre-scription, universal hygiene standards and MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients.
- Preparation and transportation of patients samples from the peripheral health facilities to the Point of Care Laboratories.
- Assisting in preparing the laboratory (cleaning, disinfection, organization etc.) for testing and performing laboratory tests from time to time whenever required.
- Complying with the hygiene protocols at all times for individual and collective safety, with special focus on disinfection of materials and equipment.
- Ensuring proper waste management (correct segregation and disposal) and carrying out cleaning and washing of laboratory bench tops, floor, etc.
- Following all lab administrative/ sample flow procedures, including sample reception, inspection, registration, results reporting and documentation and any other clerical work as may be required, keeping track of all activities.
- Participating, under the laboratory supervisor’s supervision, in the efficient management and organization of laboratory equipment and supply. (equipment user maintenance, stock follow-up, storage conditions, inventory, expired substances, etc.).
- Reporting any problems arising in the laboratory, especially loss or damage of equipment/ materials.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by immediate supervisor from time to time.
1. To receive samples, Laboratory request forms and results at the POC laboratory
- To collect samples from health facilities and bring to the laboratory.
- To receive POC Request forms and samples at the laboratory, and to distribute results at the Health Centre in a timely manner
- Inspect samples and Request forms upon receipt, and communicate any problems to the relevant party
- Register all samples and results in the Point of Care Laboratory Register
- Assist the POC laboratory technician in completing entries in Point of Care bench books
- Assist preparation of samples for testing, storage or transport as requested and under supervision of the POC Laboratory Technician Supervisor.
- To organise and update results folder at the POC laboratory.
2. To maintain the POC laboratory
- To open and close the laboratory at the start and conclusion of the working day
- To correctly dispose of waste generated at the POC laboratory at the Health Centre facility
- To be responsible for general cleaning of the POC Laboratory
3. To keep all POC laboratory records up to date
- To monitor registry books and POC request forms and request renewals from the POC Laboratory supervisor as required
4. To participate in collection of laboratory data
- To regularly report activities undertaken at the POC laboratory using the format provided from the POC Activity manager/POC Laboratory supervisor
- To ensure the POC Request forms, registers and laboratory records are in agreement
- To work with the Health Centre team to ensure all POC request forms are correctly completed
- Work closely with the POC laboratory supervisor, POC data management team or POC activity manager as required to ensure proper records are kept.
- To maintain patient confidentiality at all
- Minimum Malawi Secondary Certificate of Education (MSCE)
- At least 1 year working experience in the Molecular lab as laboratory assistant.
- Experience working as a Phlebotomist is an added advantage.
How to apply
Documents to provide:
- Cover letter, Updated CV, ID Copy and relevant certificates
- Deadline for submission of application: 28 April 2021
Application should be submitted to:
Human Resources Manager
Médecins sans Frontières France
Po Box 50
Chiradzulu – Malawi
E-mail address: [email protected]
with in subject: POC LAB CLERK Full_Name
(Indicate only the Position and Your Full Name as part of the Subject Line of the email).