Job Title: Irrigation Engineer (1 position)
Employer: Plan Malawi
Deadline : 14/07/2020
Category: NGO jobs in Malawi
The Civil/Irrigation/Agricultural Engineer is required to provide technical support for the Irrigation, Soil and Water management component of the Project while overseeing Flood Damage and Drought Risk Management and Mitigation Project in assigned areas. The project aims to support the relevant Ministry responsible for Water Resources and Meteorology in the assigned Districts in its efforts to address flood and drought risk management and mitigation.
Duties and Accountabilities include:
• He /she will be responsible for the following scope of work:
• Review the irrigation water requirements and water balance analysis performed during CBPP and recommend further detailed studies as needed.
• Assist in the preparation of TOR for the detailed design and supervision consultants for the irrigation components of the subproject.
• Assist the CP and relevant team members in the preparation of work programs and schedules.
• Assist district council in site identification/verification, topographic surveys and preparation of detailed design activities, bid documents, and construction works of the irrigation project.
• Develop a quality assurance program for civil works for the irrigation component, and train staff in implementation of the quality control program.
• Review completion of work and compliance with standards prior to completion certificates being issued;
• Provide the much-needed technical supervision of irrigation component of the project, including contract management.
• He/she will be responsible to provide technical support to district council/field staffs in site selection and preparation of detail design (shallow wells, boreholes, multipurpose and fish ponds, cisterns), and implementation of other water works.
• He/she will be responsible to provide technical support to the road sector of the council in design and implementation of community access road and culverts/ local bridges.
• He/she will be responsible to provide technical support to any other civil works planned to be implemented in the site such as post-harvest facilities (solar drier, grain stores…)
• He/ she is responsible to provide technical support to land resources activities that requires engineering skills such as in- situ water harvesting structures, check dams, dykes…
• Perform any additional duties and tasks as will be needed from time to time.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• The civil/irrigation/Agriculture engineer will have at minimum under graduate degree in Civil/ Agriculture /Irrigation/water resources/hydraulics Engineering.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in planning and design of irrigation development projects, water development and land resource management. He/she will have extensive work experience in a related field, a good knowledge and understanding of irrigation and agricultural systems in Malawi River Basins and considerable work experience in the Southern Region.
• The candidate required to demonstrate ability to work in a multidisciplinary team and excellent communication (written and oral) skills
How to apply
Send your application to [email protected] clearly indication on the subject the name of the position you are applying for. Include a CV and copies of certificates in your application.
Dead line for receiving applications is TUESDAY, 14th July, 2020
Plan International appreciates all applicants but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, applications will be reviewed immediately they are received.
Plan International is an equal opportunity employer
Plan International takes seriously its policies on safeguarding children and young people and workplace safeguarding and will undertake a robust formal and informal measures to undertake robust background checks specifically attributable to these two areas
Plan International Malawi Reserves the right to establish a reserve of suitable candidates for future openings
Start receiving jobs alerts directly to your email