The Registered Trustees of Girls’ Secondary Education (Trust), which is a newly incorporated non-governmental organisation (NGO), has been established, with support and cooperation between the public and private sectors, including the Government of Malawi through Ministry of Education and UNICEF, to provide financial and related support to eligible girls that are pursuing, or commencing to pursue, secondary education in Malawi.
The Trust is headquartered in Lilongwe but will carry out its role and functions throughout the country. The primary role of the Trust is to fundraise and award scholarships to eligible girls.
The Trust is in the process of setting up a secretariat at its headquarters. It is for this reason, that the Trust is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacancies:
Job position : Executive Director
Responsible to : Board of Trustees
Job Purpose :
Providing guidance and leadership to management and staff in carrying out the Trust\u2019s functions to achieve the Trusts goals, vision and mission.
- He or she will be a member of Management and an interface between the Board of Trustees (the Board) and Management. He or she attend but not vote at the Board, where necessary.
- Undertake day-to-day management and operation of the Secretariat, including leading a team of staff in the capacity of the Executive Director
- Take the lead in identifying, lobbying and campaigning for Trust’s sponsorship locally and internationally;
- Develop the Trust further as a nationally acclaimed self-sustainable NGO
- Represent the Trust in forums both locally and internationally
- Commission reports, research and publications on the activities of the Trust
- Oversee financial management of the Trust
- Oversee the performance and development of staff
- Report to the Board and key stakeholders, including UNICEF, on regular basis
- Ensures that the Trust executes and achieves its business plans and annual performance targets
- Ensure that the Trust’s portfolio is steadily growing and sustained
- Maintain good relationships with the original sponsors including UNICEF and Ministry of Education and respond regularly to their respective requests and keep updating them about the work of the Trust
- Coordinate and take charge of the publicity and business development services of the Trust to widen awareness and publicity for the Trust and its activities
- Ensure that the Trust has sound and relevant strategies for resource mobilization so as to enable the Trust to sustain its activities
- Managing the press and other media and related events, like press conferences, press releases, open days, sponsorship tours and roadshows, and take charge of the management of the all Trust\u2019s events
- Take lead in negotiation, execution, delivery and management of all contracts that the Trust may enter into
- Ensure that the Trust’s relationships with others at all levels and all times are warm, cordial and constructive to the development of the Trust
- Lead the organization in policy formulation and implementation
- Overseeing the Trust’s communication strategy
- Formulate appropriate organisational and management structures for assurance of optimal efficiency in serving the Trustees
- Ensure that the Trust is regulatory compliant at all times with all the relevant authorities, including the NGO Board and the Council for the NGOs (CONGOMA)
- Utilise up-to-date management information system and technology to prepare physical, financial, performance reports, programs and plans of the Trust
- Carry out any other relevant duties as requested by the Board from time-to-time.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- Those with a Master’s Degree in a related field will have an added advantage;
- Minimum of ten (10) years proven experience at managerial level (those with experience in NGO setup will have an added advantage)
- Be of high, moral and ethical character and integrity
- Results oriented and proven capability to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines
- Good knowledge of Administration, organization skills, management and general understanding of an NGO governance and practices
- At least 10 years’ work experience with a good track record in a donor funded organization.
Requisite knowledge, abilities and skills
- Good knowledge of Malawi Government education and related policies and strategies.
- Good knowledge of NGO policies and strategies.
- Strong analytical, Interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills, versatility, ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Should possess leadership, team building and negotiation skills.
- Extensive management experience at a senior level and capable of leading and managing a team of technical and professional staff.
- Computer literate.
- Pro-active and solution oriented.
- Ability to work under pressure and to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Proven ability to produce results within tight deadlines in a busy environment.
- Analytical skills and decision making ability in a complex and sensitive situations.
Mode of Application
Applications including Curriculum Vitae and copies of relevant certificates containing contact phone numbers and names of three traceable referees should be addressed to the following Email address:
Email: [email protected]
The deadline date of receiving the application is 26th November, 2020 at 17:00hrs, any applications later than the date and time will not be attended.
All those who applied previously are encouraged to re-apply. Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged.