Nurses and Midwives Council of Malawi (NMCM) is the regulatory body of Nurses and Midwives established in 1966 under the act of parliament Laws of Malawi Cap 3002. NMCM is mandated to develop, maintain, monitor, evaluate and control the profession of Nursing and Midwifery thereby contributing to the national goal of promoting the health status of Malawians. As a regulatory, NMCM has the role of regulating the education, training and practice, professional conduct of Nursing and Midwifery personnel in Malawi.
In order to fulfil its mandate effectively and efficiently with strategic leadership and management, an excellent and rare opportunity has arisen to engage a qualified person of Malawian origin to fill an Executive Management position of Registrar tenable at NMCM offices in Lilongwe. The Board of Directors of NMCM therefore invites applications from suitable candidates to fill the position on a three (3) year employment contract. This is a highly technical and demanding position that requires a person who has demonstrable capacity to initiate administrative and managerial innovations geared at making the Council a vibrant and competitive institution.
The following are the required personnel and work-related traits for the position:
B. MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Registrar shall be responsible for taking charge of NMCM Secretariat in planning and implementing its objectives and Programs.
C. MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Registrar shall be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities:
- Providing leadership for improved nursing profession regulatory systems development, review and implementation including resource mobilization and management to ensure Council’s efficient overall performance and progress towards achievement of set objectives.
- Providing general oversight and coordination of NMCM activities to ensure that it functions smoothly and efficiently.
- Ensuring that regulatory capacity of Council is expanding in line with the growth in the numbers of health related facilities and the professions to be regulated from time to time and ensuring that Council services are visible and easy to be reached by stakeholders:
- Directing and guiding all the Directorates of the NMCM in the preparation of corporate strategic and business plans and align them with Government policies and Council’s vision and mission. Identifying organization structure changes and staff skill requirements and putting in place required management systems and processes to manage the motivation of staff.
- Mobilizing resources for Council operations through various means including through the development of project proposals for the implementation of various regulatory operation programs and finding potential partners to fund the projects.
- Ensuring that NMCM operates a proper and efficient student indexing system, licensure examination system, nurses and midwives registration system, nursing profession regulatory systems, finance and accounting systems, human resource management systems, Information technology management systems, procurement system, and other records to reflect true and fair position of Council and in conformity with generally acceptable accountability standards which include timely preparation of the budget plans in line with relevant Laws of Malawi.
- Appointing appropriate licensure examiners, and moderators.
- Servicing Council Board meetings.
- Supervising and appraising the performance of Directors within Council.
- Consolidating and Presenting various NMCM reports to the Board, stakeholders and Government and advising them on relevant matters accordingly.
- Ensuring that public concerns are investigated and resolved timely and feedback given accordingly.
- Attending meetings to represent the interests of the Council and answering queries relevant to the Council mandates.
- Any other duties assigned by the Board from time to time.
D. MINIMUM QUALIFICATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Must be currently registered with Nurses and Midwives Council of Malawi;
- Master’s Degree in nursing/midwifery, Registered nurse and midwife with post-graduate qualification in Leadership and Management or related field.
- At least four years’ experience at Director Level in a public health related institution of either clinical practice or training.
E. REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
The following shall be the ideal required competencies of the Incumbent:
- Ability to prioritize work efficiently;
- Ability to work independently;
- Strong planning and organizational skills;
- Excellent in communication, interpersonal, presentation, facilitation and analytical skills;
- Self-motivated, assertive and action oriented;
- Strategic thinker and of high integrity;
- High level of diplomacy and ability to work with teams;
- Problem solving and organization skills; and
- Strong computer skills with knowledge of computerized accounting system.
F. TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The Council shall offer an attractive employee benefits package (commensurate with qualifications and experience) which includes salary, medical insurance, club and professional body memberships and Contributory Group Pension Scheme.
G. METHOD OF APPLICATION
Interested applicants should send their application letters and detailed Curriculum Vitae including three traceable referees, including previous employer, not later than 30 June 2020 to;
The Comptroller of Statutory Corporations,
Department of Statutory Corporations,
P.O. Box 30061,
NMCM IS AN EQUAL GENDER BASED OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE ACKNOWLEDGED