FAO assists governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to address hunger and malnutrition, and provides technical support for the sustainable development of their agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to respond to cries. FAO in collaboration with the Government of Malawi and with support of multiple development partners is implementing a wide range of activities to improve livelihoods of small-scale farmers as well as assisting a more inclusive and sustainable development in the country. FAO Malawi is currently supporting the Government to strengthen community-based resilience in vulnerable rural areas, facilitate a more sustainable management of natural resources and supporting nutrition-sensitive agriculture. Likewise, FAO provides and mobilizes technical assistance required by the country in areas related with agriculture production, agriculture economics and other areas relevant.
The National Food Safety Policy Expert will be under the overall leadership of the FAO Representative and functional supervision of the Deputy FAO Representative in Malawi; technical supervision of the International Consultant on Food Safety Policy and the National Food Safety Taskforce and in close collaboration with the National Food Safety Taskforce, the FAO Malawi Programme Personnel, as well as National Authorities.
The National Food Safety Policy Expert will be responsible for the provision of technical support for the development process of the national food safety policy.
Tasks and responsibilities
The incumbent will work more specifically:
- Participate in an initial meeting with the Food Safety Task Force to discuss the format of, and process for the preparation of the formulation of the national Food Safety Policy.
- Identify key public, private, civil society, and donor stakeholders to be consulted during the formulation of the policy.
- Arrange meetings and conduct one-to-one interviews and/or roundtables with stakeholders to contribute to the preparation of the policy.
- Collect relevant documentation and obtain data to contribute to the preparation of the policy.
- Conduct analysis of data and perform further investigation as required to contribute to the preparation of the policy.
- Participate in consultations and drafting of the National Food Safety Policy (first draft) in English.
- Organize validation and review meetings.
- Coordinate the review process and integrate relevant comments from stakeholders to be shared with the Food Safety Taskforce and a selected number of key stakeholders for further review.
- Incorporate all comments and finalise the Policy (final draft).
- Prepare and finalize the Strategic Plan to be reviewed by the National Food Safety Taskforce.
- Perform any other task as required in support of the preparation of the policy i.e. participating in any relevant trainings that may be deemed necessary by the Food Safety Taskforce.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced degree in public health, food technology, nutrition, sanitary medicine, veterinary public health, or related fields.
- National of Malawi
- Minimum of 10 years professional experience in the relevant field.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Proven ability to write and present complex policy related issues for a non-technical audience
- Excellent English writing skills
- Working knowledge of food safety and food control concepts and terminology will be an added advantage
- Good knowledge of Government systems, NGOs and the UN will be an asset;
- Excellent communication and team building skills;
- Knowledge of food safety principles and implementation of food safety controls.
- Knowledge of Government policy frameworks.
- Substantial knowledge of programme monitoring and evaluation methodologies.
- Excellent communication, facilitation, synthesis, and organisation skills