FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions
The Media Specialist will be a mid-level member of the project team and work with the Ministry of Health (MOH), USAID implementing partners, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), community organizations and other stakeholders to achieve the successful implementation, monitoring and evaluation of health communication activities under the USAID/ Health Communication for Life (HC4L) project. HC4L supports the MOH to promote health seeking practices and adoption of healthy behaviors in a wide variety of health areas (maternal, newborn, and child health (MNCH); family planning (FP); nutrition; water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) as well as malaria prevention, control and case management.
The Media Specialist will work under the oversight of the Deputy Chief of Party to provide specialized technical assistance to MOH, local NGO’s, USAID implementing partners, and partner organizations to support the on-going development and lead targeted placement and dissemination of health communication materials and products through mass media, community mobilization and social media.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- A minimum of a university degree (Master’s degree preferred) in communication, social science, behavioral change communication, strategic communication, journalism, public relations, marketing or related field.
- At least 5 years of experience in implementing and managing health communication activities, public relations, branding/marketing communication or advocacy projects or campaigns in developing countries.
- Demonstrated experience in planning and implementing strategic media campaigns for local and national brands and has built and managed social media platforms in the past.
- Experience in media monitoring for both the traditional media and social media
Specific Knowledge Requirements:
- Up-to-date knowledge and skills in the fields of SBCC, health communication, public relations, marketing, social and behavior change communication models and strategies and their practical application.
- Technical knowledge of one or more of the following health topic areas (MNCH, FP, malaria, WASH, nutrition) is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and use of multi-media communications including audio visual tools and materials
- Excellent writing and editing skills with strong ability to synthesize and translate technically complex information into plain language communication products. Work in low-literacy settings a plus
- Demonstrated ability to work, communicate, and build rapport with a variety of professionals in academia, industry, government, non-governmental organizations and leading multi-media communications teams
- Field experience in developing and implementing SBCC, health communication, public relations or marketing activities in Africa and/or other regions that have demonstrated impact, at scale
- Understanding of widely accepted formative research, pretesting, and monitoring and evaluation methodologies for effective communication and public relations/advocacy campaigns
- Demonstrated strong technical, programming and management skills.
- Proven ability to work as an effective team member.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills in English and one or more additional local languages a plus.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and negotiation skills and experience working in collaboration with partners, donors and NGOs.
Ability to set priorities while multi-tasking and meet deadlines.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.