Nascent is seeking a qualified candidate of Gender Officer on a five-year McGovern-Dole International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Program (McGovern-Dole) funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) implemented in the Central and Southern Regions of Malawi. The five-year program is designed to improve the literacy of school-age children and to increase the use of positive health and dietary practices.
Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Employment Type: Fulltime
Reports to: Chief of Party Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership on gender programming under McGovern-Dole International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Program (McGovern-Dole) to ensure equality, equity, male engagement and youth empowerment.
- Support Nascent’s business development process by ensuring that gender equity is a pivot of programing and new business development
- Provide technical assistance to the project management, technical personnel and partners to design, implement and assess gender elements in all Nascent Solutions activities across the program cycle.
- Build the capacity of project staff, partners, community members and government officials to design, implement and evaluate evidence-based gender interventions aimed at promoting gender including youth empowerment.
- Lead the development of a gender analysis and the development of a gender strategy for the project and support its implementation.
- Contribute to formative research to identify key gender constraints targeted by the project and ensure that the identified constraints/determinants are addressed based on the evidence from the field.
- Monitor, document and share project accomplishments, most significant stories on gender, challenges, and lessons learned among internal and external partners for policy dialogue, advocacy and future programming.
- Oversee quality assurance of the gender activities and advise on corrective interventions.
- Serve as constant liaison to and collaborate with a wide network of partners under McGovern-Dole International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Program including Government, development partners, media, NGOs, school structures, public sector service providers, community leaders etc.
- Ensure timely production and consolidation of gender reports for submission to management
- Carry out any other tasks related to gender for the program as assigned by the supervisor.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in gender, and or related field that include that have gender in focus including gender in Agriculture, gender in education,
- At least 5-year experience in gender-related work
- Strong technical expertise in gender integration, women and youth empowerment, project designs and management.
- Evidence of good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Evidence of good presentation/facilitation skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills and successful teamwork.
- Experience developing and maintaining productive working relations with stakeholders including the Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare; Ministry of Health and Population; Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Water Development; Ministry of Education, Science and Technology etc.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Strong capacity in oral and written Chichewa is highly desirable.
- Accurate and thorough with great attention to detail.
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics.
- Proactive, resourceful, solution-oriented and results-oriented.
- Should be self-starter, creative, technologically competent, passionate, hardworking and self- motivated.
- Ability and willingness to travel locally a minimum of 25% of the time.