Mzuzu University is Malawi’s Second Public University established under the Mzuzu University Act No. 12 of 1997. The mission of the University is to provide high quality education, training, research, outreach and complementary services to meet the technological, social and economic needs of individuals and communities in Malawi and the World.
The University invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacant position:
Vacancy No. 1: ASSISTANT REGISTRAR (PUBLIC RELATIONS)
Reporting to the University Registrar, the post holder shall be responsible for managing the communications function, reputation and promoting public awareness about the University brand using multimedia channels of communication.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Public Communications, Media Studies, Journalism, or related fields. Applicants with a Master’s Degree in the appropriate field will have an added advantage.
- At least five (5) years relevant experience.
- Applicants with work experience in higher education will have an added advantage.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent organization and coordination skills in working with different teams in a busy and complex environment;
- Ability to pay attention to detail;
- Familiarity and experience with electronic media; and
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitoring issues in the University requiring public attention and disseminating information on such matters;
- Liaising with the University Registrar on matters arising from University Council, University Senate and other Statutory Committees that require dissemination;
- Preparing press releases in liaison with internal stakeholders and seeking appropriate clearances through the University Registrar before publishing the same;
- Responding to requests for various information on Mzuzu University from the media, stakeholders and interest groups;
- Coordinating the production of Mzuzu University publications such as the University prospectus, University calendar, University newsletter, bulletins, magazines, annual reports, using multimedia channels of communication;
- Coordinating the production of University’s promotional and branding materials;
- Keeping record of major accomplishments and newsworthy events in the University;
- Managing the University website in liaison with the Webmaster and Graphic Designer;
- Assisting in organizing public events and ceremonies such as University Congregation, public lectures, scholarship award ceremonies; and
- Any other reasonable duties as assigned by the University Registrar.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
The application should include an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV), copies of academic and professional qualifications as well as names and contact details of three traceable referees. The vacancy number and job title should be indicated on the envelope and sent to:
Private Bag 201
Or Electronic Submission:
Electronic submission of the application should be sent as attachments in PDF or MS Word format to:
Email: [email protected]
The subject line of the application should show the position being applied for.
To reach the University not later than Friday, 20th November 2020. Note that only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.