Malawi Blood Transfusion Service (MBTS), is a Trust that was established to provide a safe and adequate supply of blood and blood products to meet the needs of all patients in authorised hospitals in Malawi. It is committed to meet its objective of collecting, processing and testing all blood from voluntary non-remunerated blood donors in low-risk populations to international standards, in a cost efficient manner.
The MBTS is seeking suitable candidates for the Medical Officer post tenable at its Head Office in Blantyre.
Reporting to the Medical Director, his/her main responsibilities will be to:
- Coordinate the operational departments of the MBTS to ensure that they are working efficiently and optimally.
- Manage the blood inventory.
- Promote appropriate clinical use of blood and blood products through all known avenues such as training and hospital transfusions committees.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance and effectiveness of MBTS and propose appropriate corrective actions.
- Assist in providing medical and technical advice in transfusion related issues to MoH, the general public, blood donors, health authorities and clinical prescribers of blood and blood products.
- Assist in developing advocacy strategies to raise awareness of the need for blood donation from voluntary non-remunerated blood donors from low risk population groups.
- Assist in all aspects of budgeting of the MBTS’ program costs and requirements and in budget implementation.
Qualifications and Experience
- Medical Doctor with a Medical Degree, MBBS or equivalent from a recognised university.
- At least 1 year post-internship experience in medical and clinically relevant areas.
- Managerial and conflict resolution experience.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to share information and ideas in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in writing to a wide variety of audiences.
- Computer literate.
- Experience in project development and strategic planning is an added advantage.
Applications from suitably qualified persons should be addressed to:
The Chief Executive Officer
Malawi Blood Transfusion Service
P. O. Box 2681
Email: [email protected]
The closing date for receipt of applications is 1 September 2020