TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. By linking people to information, capital, and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities.
Founded over 50 years ago, TechnoServe has been named the #1 nonprofit for fighting poverty by the Impact Matters charity ratings agency.
The Country Program Manager is Leader of a donor-funded program. They will be managing the implementation at the country level, coordinating a small team to ensure smooth implementation and achievement of objectives. They will be managing strategically to identify and solve problems, seek alliances, and identify new opportunities to multiply impact. They will be managing budget and ensuring compliance with organizational and donor regulations. They will also handle the representation of the program and organization to external stakeholders, including government, donors, and development partners, to increase visibility and organizational reputation. They will handle coaching and building the capacity of a team to achieve excellence.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
- Strategically selects areas of work, partnerships, and methodologies that most effectively contribute to growth of the TechnoServe Malawi portfolio
- Develops, presents, and implements the strategic vision, annual goals, and objectives for the country program in line with the organizational strategic plan
- Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn and actively applies new knowledge and skill. Analyses both successes and failures for clues to improvement. Innovative to try new ideas to find solutions
- Analytical, able to diagnose problems, identify the key issues, and think strategically to evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical, and acceptable solution. Works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal
- Able to take ownership of decisions but show sound judgment in escalating issues where necessary.
- Works cooperatively and flexibly with other members of the team to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Effectively plans, schedules, and prioritizes activities; effectively manages resources (people, material, information, budget, and time) to accomplish
- Listens openly and effectively and ensures accurate understanding; able to adjust communication to the needs of the audience and work at multiple levels; facilitates the open exchange of ideas and information in individual and group situations.
- Transparent in dealings with others, admits mistakes, and is trusted. Inspires confidence in the team of honest intentions and fairness.
- Interacts comfortably and effectively with people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, abilities, ages, and genders.
- Provides strategic direction and leadership with overall responsibility for meeting the goals and objectives of programs;
- Provides leadership and mentorship to the local staff to build their leadership and management capacities;
- Sound understanding of market systems and inclusive business models, including a strong client focus. Able to understand the client’s concerns and priorities to provide appropriate business advisory solutions.
- Understands and manages human, financial, and operational resource issues to improve overall organizational performance. Committed to compliance with organizational policies.
- Identifies opportunities and builds strategic relationships with other organizations to help achieve business goals.
- Able to analyze and express themselves clearly in business writing.
- Asks questions and seeks out information from multiple sources, learns from mistakes, sees change as an opportunity.
- Cultivates, grows and improves relationships and synergies among in-country partners and donors, including local government, bilateral and multilateral development/donor organizations, foundations, and relevant local Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs); private sector associations and corporations.
- In collaboration with the Business Development Unit, supports the development of leads, concepts, and proposals.
- Assess industries, market research, and other analytical exercises that generate insight into opportunities for TechnoServe to achieve its mission
- In collaboration with headquarters office, strengthens Gender, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) systems, evidence-based learning and technical approaches and model
- A Master’s degree in business, economics, agriculture or other relevant discipline with a minimum of 10 years of professional experience in a relevant field, including the development of agricultural value chains, private sector and/or entrepreneurship
- Good knowledge and understanding of the challenges of food processing in Africa