Training & Research Unit of Excellence (TRUE) would like to engage the services of a competent and dynamic individual to work in exciting research programs in Zomba, southern Malawi. Appointment will be made on a fixed term basis for two years, which may be renewed depending on performance and availability of funds. Applicants are invited to fill the following positions:
POSITION: Laboratory Technician (Zomba)
2 Posts, based in Zomba.
The Laboratory Technician shall carry out laboratory tests appropriate to particular research studies as designated by the site coordinator and the scientific leader; label and prepare specimens for testing and storage, including documentation and record keeping. Interested applicants should possess a diploma in Medical Laboratory sciences, be registered with the Medical Council of Malawi with a valid license to practice and have at least two years of experience in a research laboratory. Those who have additional malaria microscopy training and a certificate of Good Clinical Practice have an added advantage.
Duties and responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities listed below are intended to describe the general nature of the role. They may change or vary over time depending on the specific needs at a specific point in time or due to changing needs of TRUE.
Duties shall include but not limited to the following:
- To be a registered member of Medical Council of Malawi and act in a professional manner at all times in accordance with their rules and guidelines
- To always put the patient/ study participant first (Patient centered).
- To respect patient confidentiality and not divulge patient details or results to persons other than those immediately professionally responsible for the patient’s medical care or to those involved in research thereof.
- To use the equipment and TRUE premises solely for the use it is intended and not for personal gain.
- To work only under guidelines and standard operating protocols (SOPs) as laid out by the Principle Investigator.
- To work using safe practice, respecting the safety of fellow workers at all times and to work within Health and Safety Guidelines as set by the Health and Safety Officer.
- Lab technicians will be expected to attend seminars and meetings both external and internal as available and as requested
- To carry out laboratory tests in accordance with research protocols (SOPs) as set out either by the PI.
- To be aware of, and work using the Quality Control protocols, both internal and external where appropriate set by the PI
- To keep both paper and electronic records where appropriate.
- To prepare and store specimens according to set protocols.
- To monitor equipment at regular intervals according to set protocols where appropriate.
- To keep all bench surfaces and equipment clean in all areas (except floors and hand basins which are cleaned by housekeepers).
- To be responsible for the handling of laboratory spillages according to the spillage SOPs.
- To work within the Health and Safety protocols of the department.
- To carry out any other duty deemed to be reasonable, assigned by the scientific leader, Lab manager and the PI
Qualifications and experience
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Science
How to apply
To apply CLICK HERE: https://forms.gle/53o6Ln6zLxCVgJGx5
Closing date is 29th June 2020.
Only short-listed candidates will be acknowledged.