Job Employer : Mzuzu University
Job Title : Post of Deputy Vice -Chancellor
Job Location : Mzuzu
Category : Job Vacancies in Malawi Government
Closing Date : 22 May 2020
The council for Mzuzu University (MZUZNI) is inviting applications from suitably qualified experience and distinguished academic/research/administrative professional to fill the vacant position of Deputy Vice -Chancellor at Mzuzu university.
This is a highly demanding position in the Vice Chancellor’s office, which requires senior academics and mangers, who have demonstrable capacity and capability to initiate and monitor academic growth of the University towards quality education, research, and outreach services.
MZUNI is the second public University in Malawi, which was established by an act of Parliament, No. 12 of 1997. The university has dual modes of delivery of education (face to face and open, Distance and e-learning).
The University has presently an enrollment of about 8,000 students in six faculties (Education;Environmental Sciences;Science;Technology and Innovation; Humanities, and Social sciences; and Tourism, Hospitality and Management)
THE DEPUTY VICE – CHANCELLOR
- Reporting to the Vice Chancellor, the deputy Vice Chancellor assists the Vice Chancellor in overseeing the day to day administration and management of the University so that the goals of the University are fully meet.
- The deputy Vice Chancellor is responsible for academic and research administrative affairs of the University.
- S/he is the Chief Adviser to the Vice- Chancellor on all academic matters. This is an exceptionally challenging and rewarding role, with a wide range of functions and responsibilities and responsibilities.
The duties and responsibilities of the Deputy Vice – Chancellor include;
- LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
- Spearhead strategic academic planning, policy formulation and implementation targeted at the university and responsiveness to the needs of Malawi and the world
- Supports the adherence of high standards of discipline among staff members and students
- Ensure adherence to administrative, academic, research and financial policies, rules and regulations
- Chairs some of the Senate committees of the University
- Carries out any assignment by the Vice Chancellor from time to time
- ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
- Initiate development and review of all academic programs
- Facilitate development and implementation of alternative teaching and learning avenues (including open and distance learning) towards widening access to higher education
- Works jointly with senate on policy guidelines for academic programs, standards and quality assurance, research and consultancies
- Fosters strategic and academic partnerships with external stake holders including public and private sectors in fields of mutual interest
- Ensures that efficient and effective mechanisms for quality control and inspection are in place and are functioning properly towards full graduates’ experience
- Champions certification of University programmes and systems including ISO levels
- RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
- Ensures development, periodic review and implementation of university research agenda which would support application of research results to improve knowledge and human welfare
- Catalyzes Establishment of collaborative research projects and innovative research
- Encourages academic members of staff to embark on basic and research that brings about social-economic changes in people’s lives
- Enhances inventions and co-creation with industry and communities
- Facilitates mobilization of funds to support demand driven University Research programs
- Ensures that research programs conducted in the University address national, regional and global challenges and are disseminated to the stake holders
The candidate for the post of Deputy Vice Chancellor must be a distinguished with outstanding academic and administrative records. S/he must be proven manager of human and material resources.
Specifically, the person must
- Be proven leader with academic and managerial standing at senior Management level in the higher education sector for at least 5 years
- Possess a doctorate degree earned from a reputable and accredited University in their discipline and must be at the level of or equivalent to at least professor in the field of specialization
- Have proven and demonstrate ability to attract international research and development grants as well as mentoring postgraduate students
- Exhibit entrepreneurial drive and ability to attract statutory funds and resources for the development of the University
- Demonstrate ability to attract , motivate and retain highly skilled and talented staff in all categories, teaching , research and advisory, and non-teaching and #
- Possess proven skills of team building, written and oral communication, and information, communication and technology (ICT)
TENURE OF THE POST AND REMUNERATION PACKAGE
The successful candidate shall hold office for a period of our years and be eligible for re appointment for one further term of office based on satisfactory performance.
The candidate shall be offered an attractive salary and benefits commensurate of the position and qualifications
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Interested and qualified candidates who meet the above conditions should submit a set of three (3) hard copies of their application.
The application package containing an application letter, detailed curriculum vitae giving names and addresses of three traceable referees and copies of their qualifications should be submitted under confidential cover, on or before Friday 22nd May 2020 addressed as follows
University Registrar and Secretary to Council
Private bag 201
The submission of the hard copy should be accompanied by electronic submission of the full application and accompanying materials to be mailed as attachment in PDF or MS Word Format to
[email protected], the subject line should read . “Application for the Post of Deputy Vice-Chancellor