The Malawi Institute of Education is in the process of identifying contractors to undertake the construction of training complex, in order to ensure that construction works are of high quality and standards. The MIE intends to engage the service of Clerk of Works to undertake daily supervision of the works.
MIE is, therefore, inviting interested qualified individuals to submit their expression of interest for the position of Clerk of works.
The role of a Clerk of Works is primarily to represent the interests of MIE in regard to ensuring that the quality of both materials and workmanship are in accordance with architectural drawings and specifications and ensure compliance with contract documents, construction regulations and best practice on the building site.
Candidates should be holders of either a Diploma in Construction Technology or City and Guilds Part 3 from a recognized institution. Candidates should also have not less than seven (7) years of relevant experience in a similar post.
DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT
The successful candidate shall be offered a two year contract with a possibility of extension.
Duties and responsibilities
- Observe and produce on site weather instructions, amendments, labour force, quality, health and safety, test results activities on daily basis
- Maintain and issue weekly progress reports for all daily visits, including weather instructions, amendments, labour force, quality, health and safety, test results.
- Participate in all the site meetings and advice on difficulties being encountered or likely to be encountered.
- Make recommendations both orally and in writing about any aspect of the works including quality which do not conform with the plans, specifications or schedules of works and other documentation that might be unsatisfactory for any other reasons of designs, work or cost.
- Continuously monitor work on site in accordance with the Contractors Method Statements and the Construction Health and Safety Plan, and endeavor to ensure the safety of all persons affected by the works. Promptly report breaches to contractors and consultants in written form.
- Undertake scaffolding inspections.
- Examine, as far in advance as possible, all contract documents and drawings on individual schemes for discrepancies.
- Report on the contractor’s anticipated building programme and on the performance of contractors and external consultants.
- Check that progress is maintained according to the building programme on any likely cause for delay to the services consultant.
- Prepare and attend snagging inspections and advice the schemes consultant prior to the issue of Certificate of Practical Completion. Ensure that schedules of defects after handover are maintained, and their rectification before the expiration of the defects liability period.
- Where approval samples are available, compare work carried out against samples and ensure that it is consistent with the original.
- Work in collaboration with members of the Project Design Team and clients to ensure projects, both pre and post contract, run smoothly and that objectives are achieved.
Method of application
Applications including detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of relevant certificates and three traceable referees should be sent to:
The Executive Director
Malawi Institute of Education
P.O. Box 50
All applications should reach the Executive Director not later than 28th December, 2020.