Organization for Sustainable Socio-Economic Development Initiatives (OSSEDI) is a Local NGO established on 26th May 2004 and registered with the trustees Incorporation Act of 1962 of laws of Malawi with registration number 2309/305.
The organization was founded to enhance effective participation of the civil society in social and economic development issues of HIV and AIDS and Health, basic education for all, sustainable livelihoods environmental management, child protection, child rights and social protection in Malawi.
Since it’s establishment, OSSEDI has demonstrated a strong desire and commitment to improve the quality of life of its clients and enable them access the basic fundamental human rights through an innovative development process that embraces community participation. It’s programs primarily targets the vulnerable category of the communities particularly women, youths and the girl child while also recognising the role that men play in addressing issues affecting both women and children.
OSSEDI intends to implement the project called: Restoring Land and Livelihoods Across East and Southern Africa’s Savannah in Phalombe, Zomba and Machinga districts. The project runs for 5 years with possibility of extensions. It is in this regard that OSSEDI wishes to engage the services of qualified, experienced and dynamic person to fill the position of Field Officer.
POSITION: FIELD OFFICERS (6 POSTS, 2 Per District)
Duty stations: MACHINGA, ZOMBA and PHALOMBE
She/he will report directly to the District Coordinator.
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following will be tasks to be performed by Field Officer:
- Conduct community mobilization/sensitization to ensure that community beneficiaries, leaders, other partners are lined up and successfully embrace the project especially women and the youths
- Ensure community members and local government extension agents implement ecosystem-base adaptation strategies (EverGreening Agriculture and Re-greening)
- Strengthen awareness of climate and land declaration threats and risk-reduction processes
- Strengthen awareness and convince community members to adopt improved management of land or forest areas contributing to emissions reduction
- Prepare work plans/work schedules for all planned activities and ensure these are submitted to district coordinator for approval as per agreed overall work plan.
- Conduct community mobilization and sensitization programmes, to ensure maximum participation of women and young people and the communities
- Work with Platform project officers to sensitize the stakeholders and the target communities about the Project
- Work with platform project officers to plan and organise events, activities and sessions relating to Youth, women Livelihoods, forest based entrepreneurship and skills training
- Work with other stakeholders, local community leaders and other community stakeholders to identify and address issues affecting project delivery
- Collect and collate/compile monthly. quarterly or any reports and data required information relating to the programme and submit this to the district coordinator in time
- Build and maintain positive working relations with local development partners in ENRM livelihoods
- Network with other key partners – NGOs, CBOs, Government departments and key community members at district levels to ensure that the programme is fully supported at community level.
EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCES REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources Management or Agriculture
- Experience in mobilizing communities, community leaders and young people to participate in programmes
- Strong facilitation skills, good report writing skits
- Knowledge and familiarity with data collection tools and techniques
- Experience of budgeting and handling finances to deliver project activities
- Strong problem solving skills appropriate for community partners
- Computer literacy (word, excel, power point, web and outlook)
- Ability to motivate and support young people/women
- An ability to plan/schedule work activities independently with minimum supervision.
- Minimum demonstratable experience; 4 years
MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates should send their applications including a detailed curriculum vitae, copies of certificates plus names of three traceable referees to address below not later than 15th May 2020.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews starting from 18th to 20th May 2020 at OSSEDI Head office in Lilongwe, along Mchinji road opposite Njewa primary school.
The Human Resource and Administration
Private Bag 127
Email: [email protected] or [email protected]
OSSEDI is an equal opportunity employer as such women are encouraged to apply.