The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a German federal enterprise. GIZ supports the Federal German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ operates in more than 130 countries around the globe. In Malawi, GIZ has been working for more than 50 years. The German international cooperation currently focuses on three priority areas: education, health and private sector development in rural areas. In addition, to our work on these areas, we also work on public financial management and economic management.
GIZ is recruiting two Junior Advisors – Construction Engineers for the Nutrition and Access to Primary Education (NAPE) Programme based in Lilongwe with implementation in 10 districts in Malawi.
Position: Junior Advisors – Construction Engineer
A. Responsibilities and tasks include:
- Supporting the Technical Advisor in managing the NAPE WASH infrastructure tenders (from development of tender documents to assessment of proposals and awarding of tenders) in line with GIZ processes and regulations.
- Supporting the Technical Advisor in the monitoring of the implementation of NAPE’s WASH construction component, i.e. compilation of information, M&E reports, photos, etc.
- Monitoring and supervision of construction progress and compliance at the school sites up-country (requires regular and extended travels).
- Liaising with contractors to safeguard the proper construction processes in the supported schools.
- Carrying out joint technical appraisal with the Public Works Office at school level.
- Assisting in checking and validating technical data and information (designs, drawings, specifications and BoQ) before activities are implemented.
- Providing regular feedback on progress, quality of constructions and challenges to the Technical Advisor.
- Facilitating communication between GIZ, partners at district/national level, communities, school management committees and contractors.
- Supporting the development of specific capacities among partners, schools and communities.
- Supporting GIZ’s knowledge management by collecting and processing data related to (unit) costs of structures and strength/weakness of various designs and construction approaches in Malawi.
- Assists in the development/adaption of training materials and implementation of stakeholder trainings to enhance their technical skills.
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of the Team Leader.
B. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Civil Engineering or Construction. Advanced Construction Technician qualification with proven relevant experience in the field of construction may be considered.
- Minimum 3 to 5 years’ work experience in engineering/construction, experience in WASH infrastructure is an advantage.
- Very good English language skills spoken and written.
- Team player with good social, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Flexibility and comfort in working with diverse populations in varying circumstances including remote rural areas.
- Willingness to regularly travel to up-country.
How to apply
All applicants, both women and men, who meet the required qualifications and skills are encouraged to send their application together with a detailed Curriculum Vitae, motivation letter and names of three traceable referees (preferably from their previous employers).
GIZ Malawi promotes gender equally and diversity among its staff. In case of candidates’ equal qualifications and suitability for this position, preference will be given to candidates with disabilities.
The following reference code of the call for application is strictly to be indicated in the subject line of the applicant’s e-mail:
Applicants who meet the required qualifications and skills should send their application together with a detailed Curriculum Vitae, motivation letter and names of three traceable referees (preferably from their previous employers) to:
The Human Resource Manager, GIZ under:
Email: [email protected]
The closing date for applications is 08.05. 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. GIZ is an equal opportunity employer.