The Registered Trustees of Girls’ Secondary Education (Trust), which is a newly incorporated non-governmental organisation (NGO), has been established, with support and cooperation between the public and private sectors, including the Government of Malawi through Ministry of Education and UNICEF, to provide financial and related support to eligible girls that are pursuing, or commencing to pursue, secondary education in Malawi.
The Trust is headquartered in Lilongwe but will carry out its role and functions throughout the country. The primary role of the Trust is to fundraise and award scholarships to eligible girls.
The Trust is in the process of setting up a secretariat at its headquarters. It is for this reason, that the Trust is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacancies:
Job position : Finance Officer
Responsible to : Executive Director
Job Purpose: To formulate and implement strategic direction and plans for the finance of the Trust. He or she will play a critical role in partnering with the Trust’s leadership team in strategic decision making as Girls’ Trust continues to enhance its quality programming.
Responsibilities : Governance
- He or she will be a member of the Trust Management Team and will be invited to sit in the Board of Trustees and Sub-Committees where necessary.
- Financial Management
- Maintain efficient, effective and accurate financial systems to manage all financial procedures of Girls Trust which includes budgeting, controlling, analyzing and reporting to management and other stakeholders such as board and donors.
- Design, implement and maintain internal financial controls to safeguard all financial assets of the trust.
- Lead the annual budgeting and planning processes in conjunction with the Executive Director. Administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep the management team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Implement a robust financial management/reporting system including
- Creating appropriate budgets for funding proposals which are appropriate to donor and the trusts organizational policies
- In conjunction with project managers, maintaining budgetary control over all Girls\u2019 Trust Projects through information sharing
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place, i.e.: cheque signatories; purchasing limits; purchasing systems; petty cash/ float; salary payments; PAYE and MRA payments as appropriate
- Preparation of financial reports for donors for individual projects in accordance with donor project agreements
- Managing the process of grants
- Ensure grant data base and grant files are backed up and updated regularly.
- Ensure regular financial management accounts are produced for decision making with the Girls’ Trust management Team.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process through the development of the relevant Terms of Reference, liaise with external auditors and the Finance Sub Committee of the Board of Trustees during and after the audit.
- Update and implement all necessary financial and accounting policies and practices.
- Ensure all members of staff, including finance and non-finance staff are inducted and adhere to the finance procedures.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accountancy/Business administration or qualified in the final stages of professional in ACCA, ACAM, CIMA or MBA.
- Membership of recognized professional accounting bodies (ACCA, CIMA, and ICAM etc.)
- A minimum of five years’ experience in Finance of which at least two years must have been in a senior management position.
- Minimum two years’ experience in NGO preferable in an International NGO.
- Practical experience in managing donor funded programs or projects.
Requisite knowledge, abilities and skills
- Excellent computer skills in word, excel, outlook and power-point.
- Experience of computerized accounting packages e.g. SAGE, SUN Accounting, Quick Books, and Pastel.
- Fluent in English with excellent verbal and written skills.
- Pro-active and solution oriented.
- Ability to work under pressure and to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Proven ability to produce results within tight deadlines in a busy environment.
- Analytical skills and decision making ability in a complex and sensitive situations.
Mode of Application
Applications including Curriculum Vitae and copies of relevant certificates containing contact phone numbers and names of three traceable referees should be addressed to the following Email address:
Email: [email protected]
The deadline date of receiving the application is 26th November, 2020 at 17:00hrs, any applications later than the date and time will not be attended. All those who applied previously are encouraged to re-apply. Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged.