The Water Services Association of Malawi (WASAMA) was registered under the Trustees Act in 1998. The Association was established with the aim of ensuring effective exchange of information on new developments in the water and sanitation industry generated through sharing of experience and research outcomes. The Association also promotes greater local interaction and integrated water resources management.
WASAMA wishes to recruit a suitably qualified and experienced person to fill the vacant position of Executive Director tenable at its Secretariat in Lilongwe. The successful candidate will be offered a three-year employment contract subject to renewal based on satisfactory performance. Reporting to the Governing Council (Board of Trustees), the Executive Director is the head of the secretariat with full responsibility for the provision of strategic leadership and coordination of all activities of WASAMA to meet its objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The successful candidate will be expected to perform the following duties among others:
- Developing and implementing strategic and recurrent plans for WASAMA;
- Developing, implementing and reviewing policies, systems and processes for WASAMA’s smooth operations;
- Designing, development and implementation of the Board’s organizational structure and recruitment and development of the required human resources;
- Analyzing and finding solutions to challenges facing the water and sanitation sector in Malawi;
- Ensuring the keeping of proper books of accounts and other information relating to WASAMA’s operations;
- Coordinating the organization of local and regional conferences in conjunction with the International Water Association ( IWA) and other similar organizations on specific topics in the water and sanitation industry;
- Coming up with programs that would promote efficient delivery of water and sanitation services for public benefit by encouraging education, training, studies and research on water and sanitation services management;
- Establishing relationships with similar associations worldwide with the aim of maximizing information sharing and finding solutions to water and sanitation challenges.
- Carrying out recruitment and marketing activities that would sell the Association
to potential donors with the aim of maximizing sponsorship for knowledge sharing for the water and sanitation sector in Malawi through benchmarking and other networking arrangements.
Qualifications and Experience
- At least a Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Water Engineering, Sanitation Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Water Resources Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, Marketing, Public Relations or equivalent fields from a recognized University plus a minimum of three years’ experience in a management position.
- Experience in the water or sanitation sector will be a distinct advantage.
- Candidates should have good communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- They should be computer literate in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- They should also be a team player with high integrity.
Application letters together with detailed Curriculum Vitae and copies of certificates should be sent to: –
Water Services Association of Malawi
Private Bag 59
Closing date for receiving applications is 30 July 2020. Only short listed applications will be acknowledged.
NB: Those who responded to the earlier version of the advert do not need to reapply.