The Science, Technology and Innovation Director is responsible for facilitating partnership activities that leverage CAT; cultivating and engaging a network of agricultural researchers in Malawi; co-facilitating a research-on-demand pipeline development and activity progress; and working closely with CAT’s local academic partners (MUST and LUANAR) on capacity building initiatives related to Science, Technology and Innovation.
In order to deliver on the duties and responsibilities outlined below, the Science, Technology and Innovation Director will work closely a range of Technical Advisors including experts from the University of Minnesota (UMN) and Stellenbosch University (SU), as well as other CAT team members based in Lilongwe such as the Executive Director, BIC Director, Portfolio Managers, Grants Manager, and others. The Science, Technology and Innovation Director will manage and be supported by an Agronomic Services Manager and Science, Technology and Innovation Program Manager, who will take the lead on coordinating field-based activities on CAT land.
- Scope for relevant private sector firms/companies and assess them for possible involvement in demonstrating ag-production technologies (including seed, seedlings, agro-chemicals, crop nutrition etc.) on CAT hub demonstration plots
- Support Science, Technology and Innovation Technical Advisors in external partnership development
- Based on priority research areas, develop and maintain a knowledge repository of current and ongoing Science, Technology and Innovation related projects, institutions, and individuals within Malawi, and elsewhere, for use by CAT senior personnel in activity scoping and implementation
- Manage ongoing, proactive relationships with all members of CAT’s research network (e.g., DARS, MUST, LUANAR, ATI partners, etc.), to coordinate their seamless participation in relevant CAT research activities when opportunities arise
- Manage relationships with and technical assistance provision to MUST and LUANAR
- Lead development of use agreements for CAT mobile lab hosts and provide technical assistance to lab curators. Support lab network program development
- Lead incorporation of Science, Technology and Innovation research results into BIC activities through updates and collaboration with CAT’s BIC Director
- Coordinate and manage local human capacity development opportunities
- Coordinate selection and logistics of CAT Fellows based at Malawian and non-Malawian universities; these Fellows will supervise CAT Scholars
- Establish and maintain a support network of CAT Scholars (Masters and PhD scholarships) at Malawian and non-Malawian institutions
- Coordinate logistics for visiting fellows and scholars to CAT
Coordinate logistics and communications for Science, Technology and Innovation workshops and academic short courses presented at CAT
- Performing additional duties as assigned
Does this sound like you?
- 10+ years’ relevant experience in Malawi/SADC region, with a good understanding of academia, the public and private sector
- Master’s Degree in an agriculture-related field. Ph.D. holders in an agriculture-related field highly preferred
- Demonstrated experience and a sound understanding of science, technology and innovation – including the application of science, research and development to business and commercial activities
- A strong science background together with a broad knowledge base to support the diverse nature of CAT Science, Technology and Innovation activities
- Knowledge of data science and ground and remote sensors use in agriculture
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to establish and maintain strategic partnerships, functional networks, and productive relations between individuals, stakeholders, and institutions
- Strong interpersonal skills, self-motivated, and results-driven, with a proactive approach to work
- Highly developed conceptual, analytical, and innovative problem-solving ability
- Demonstrated experience in grant writing and preparation
- Good command of English, spoken and written. Command of Chichewa (spoken and written) is not required but will improve candidate suitability.
Persons of all gender, race, sex, orientation, age, and identity are encouraged to apply. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis
For those interested in applying for this role please use this link: https://www.shortlist.net/jobs/2820