Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation — Malawi (BCM-CFM) is a not-for-profit organization working in partnership with the Malawi government in the health sector. Our Mission is to provide high-quality, high-impact, highly ethical pediatric and family-centered health care, health professional training and clinical research, focused on HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, malnutrition and other conditions impacting the health and well-being of children and families worldwide.
The Baylor-Tingathe program was designed in 2008 to respond to suboptimal uptake of PMTCT and pediatric HIV services In Malawi The program seeks to support Malawi in reaching the ambitious UNAIDS 95-95-95 goals, by improving the identification of HIV-positive persons, timely treatment initiation, and long-term engagement in care. The program is funded by USAID, and is currently operating in 7 districts in Malawi.
Baylor-Malawi is seeking qualified candidates to fill the positions of:
Position: Finance Assistants (2 posts)
Location: Golden Peacock- Lilongwe and Mangochi
Reporting to: Senior Finance Officer
The Finance Assistant is a person who has hands on experience in accounting including experience with accounting software (in particular QuickBooks). S/he should be aware of Tingathe Program mission and objectives and have a good understanding of BCM-CFM’s financial procedures and policies.
Duties and Responsibilities
Issue Cheques for all grants
- Prepare Electronic Funds Transfers and cheques, ensuring the appropriate bank account is used
- Record all payments in the appropriate register
- Arrange for signing of Electronic Funds Transfers / cheques by appropriate signatories
- Ensure all documents are stamped ‘PAID” after payment is made
- Exercise vigilance in the handling of cheques to avoid fraud/theft
- Once cheques are signed, arrange that they be given to the payees ensuring that all appropriate signatures. supporting documents and other processes are observed according to payment policies and procedures
- Issue bank letters for all grants and match account
- Draft bank letters, ensuring the appropriate bank account is used, also observing the signing mandates on each account
- Record all payments in the appropriate register
- Ensure documents are stamped “PAID” after payment is made
- Arrange for signing of the letters by appropriate signatories
- Order and keep cheque pads
- Keep track of cheque pad stocks and order in time to avoid stock outs
- Present cheque pad order form for signing by appropriate signatory and ensure it is delivered to the bank
- Arrange for collection of cheque pads and ensure these are kept in the safe
Custodian of Safe
- Ensure the safe is always kept locked, except when transferring documents/cheques in and out
- Keep keys to the safe in a secure place and not transfer them to anyone except for the Supervisors or whoever they designate
Follow-up payments for current services
- Liaise with Administration Department to note all recurrent services such as water, internet, rent for all program sites
- Maintain a schedule of payments noting invoice and payment details to avoid missing payments, over-due bills or duplicating payments.
Filing of Financial documents
- Ensuring that all payments made have proper supporting documentation, and ensure payment documents in all file sets are in sequence with no breaks.
- Scanning all payment vouchers and ensuring that soft copies are saved according to Transaction Numbers in Server Shared Folder.
- Where cheques are cancelled, definitively mark the face of the original cheque as cancelled and file it in sequence in the payment voucher file
- Help in retrieving vouchers when needed, i.e. during systems financial reviews or during audit, and make sure that all vouchers are filed back once used.
- Maintain a file of recurrent expenditure noted above for ease of follow up of status of various supplier accounts
- The duties listed above are not exhaustive; roles and responsibilities may change in response to overall organizational need and strategic innovations
Qualifications and skills
- Diploma in Accounting from a recognized institution
- Must have at least three years’ experience in a busy accounting office
- Must be Computer literate with high proficiency in Spreadsheets and knowledge of QuickBooks will be an added advantage
- Excellent communications skills.
Applications must include the following:
- A motivation letter providing explanation and detail on how the applicant satisfies the required candidate profile;
- A current Curriculum Vitae;
- Names and contact information of two (2) traceable referees who are not relatives.
Suitably qualified and experienced candidates should address their applications to:
For physical delivery:
The Executive Director,
Baylor College of Medicine –Children’s Foundation Malawi,
Private Bag, B397
Pink Building, off Presidential Way, in Golden Peacock Shopping Centre Complex Area 13/92 City Centre Lilongwe Malawi
EMAIL: [email protected]
Closing date for receiving applications is 19th June, 2020 Only short listed applicants will be acknowledged.