Innovation: Africa is Seeking Honest, Hard-Working, Problem Solvers in Malawi
Job Title: Accountant
Malawi Nationals Only: Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Innovation: Africa (iA) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization whose team of dedicated problem solvers work together to bring solar and water technologies to rural communities in Africa. We use solar energy to pump clean water for villages and provide schools, orphanages, and medical clinics with light and refrigeration to store vaccines and medicines. With more than 300 completed water, solar, and agriculture projects, iA has provided over 1.7 million people in Africa with access to light, clean water, food security, and proper medical care. Visit www.innoafrica.org to learn more about our work.
We seek a highly trained and qualified Accountant to join our Malawi team, based in Mangochi District. The Accountant is responsible for iA’s financial operations in Malawi, including ensuring our compliance with all local laws and regulations. The ideal candidate has proven and extensive experience transparently managing the financial operations of NGOs in Malawi.
Local Program Manager, Country Director, and Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- Manage and complete local country filings and registrations, in coordination with iA’s international offices.
- Ensure iA’s compliance with all local rules, laws, and regulatory obligations.
- Prepare and submit fully transparent operating budgets and expense reports, accompanied by supporting documentation and receipts.
- Collect and track all receipts and financial documentation at all times.
- Create, coordinate, and oversee the team’s monthly work plan with the Program Manager to ensure submission of complete and accurate monthly operating budgets.
- Monitor and ensure the team’s strict adherence to approved budgets only.
- Reconcile and provide thorough analysis and reporting on bank account activities.
- Monitor and control petty cash amount to ensure alignment with approved budgets.
- Obtain approvals from the Country Director and CFO for all procurements and purchases made by the Malawi office.
- Schedule, track and oversee all calendar events related to iA’s legal and regulatory compliance obligations in Malawi.
- Propose, create, and implement local country policies, procedures, and controls to ensure accountability and financial transparency.
- Prepare and manage all financial accounts and local audits.
- Interface and maintain frequent communication with contractors and vendors, and review all financial documents submitted for accuracy and authenticity, including bills of quantities, invoices, payment requests, etc.
- Maintain frequent communication with CFO, iA’s international finance team, and local advisors, at flexible hours.
- Promptly respond to all written and verbal communications, such as email, Whatsapp, Zoom, from team members, contractors, and vendors.
- Execute any other task required by the Country Director and according to the work plan.
- Promote and ensure that all team members, contractors, and vendors are operating in a strictly transparent and accountable manner, free of corruption, bribery, or any other non-ethical conduct.
- Minimum 3 years managing the financial operations of NGOs in Malawi.
- Passionate and effective team leader with strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a proven commitment to serving vulnerable communities.
Commensurate with experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting is a MUST.
- Local certification and accounting-related registrations (these will be verified).
- Exceptional computer and email skills, including fluency in Excel and Microsoft Office software.
- Comfortable working with an international team in different time zones, and the ability to commit to flexible working hours, including weekends if needed.
- Mandatory relocation to Mangochi District.
- Fluent level proficiency in English (reading, writing, and speaking)
- Driver’s license.
As an international organization that works across three continents, our teams are required to maintain daily communication, at flexible hours, with one another using technology solutions, including WhatsApp, Skype, and Zoom. Our ideal candidate thrives in this type of fast-paced environment and is comfortable working with a diverse international team located in various time zones.
- Please send your cover letter, CV, diploma, certifications, and registration confirmations in a single PDF attachment to [email protected].
- Please title the file name your full name.
- Kindly include the position and country for which you are applying to work in the subject line of the email.