Innovation: Africa is Seeking Honest, Hard-Working, Problem Solvers in Malawi
Job Title: Field Water Engineer
Malawi Nationals Only: Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Innovation: Africa (iA) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization whose team of dedicated problem solvers work together to bring solar and water technologies to rural communities in Africa. We use solar energy to pump clean water for villages and provide schools, orphanages, and medical clinics with light and refrigeration to store vaccines and medicines. With more than 300 completed water, solar, and agriculture projects, iA has provided over 1.7 million people in Africa with access to light, clean water, food security, and proper medical care. Visit www.innoafrica.org to learn more about our work.
We are seeking a highly trained and qualified individual to join our Malawi team as a Field Water Engineer, based in Mangochi District. This position works under the supervision of the local Project Manager and is responsible for managing iA’s solar water pumping systems, including supervision of geophysical surveying, drilling, pump testing, and all project construction works.
The Water Engineer is also responsible for overseeing the work of contractors, providing communities with technical support, and conducting regular monitoring visits to the project once completed. Further, the Water Engineer will assist to conduct community needs-based evaluations to identify future project beneficiaries, actively facilitate community mobilization and sensitization, and complete regular reporting.
Candidates should expect frequent travel to the field to identify prospective projects, oversee the construction and implementation of ongoing works, and monitor completed projects.
Local Program Manager, Country Director in Israel
- Manage field operations related to solar-powered water projects, including prospective project search, project construction/implementation, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Work closely with local contractors to plan, design, and implement all solar water pumping systems.
- Work closely with the local contractor and in-house engineers to plan, design, and implement drip irrigation systems.
- Oversee technical implementation of all water systems and serve as a technical point person for the communities we serve and contractors.
- Manage on-site work during all stages of the system construction and installation, including geophysical surveying, drilling, pump testing, and water quality analysis.
- Independently assess project maintenance needs upon completion as needed and provide sustainable solutions.
- Conduct community technical training and sensitization to iA project beneficiaries, including assisting to elect steering committees and teaching the community about proper water management for water and agricultural use.
- Regularly monitor the progress of ongoing water projects and maintenance activities.
- Maintain effective and regular contact with Innovation: Africa’s engineers in Israel to successfully implement and monitor new solar technologies and remote monitoring systems.
- Support the Project Manager to establish and develop relationships with municipal officers, local leaders, and international stakeholders
- Send daily updates and regular progress reports to the international management team.
- Dedicated team player with strong interpersonal skills and a proven background managing the implementation of solar powered water and irrigation systems.
- Applicants must have competitive experience in community development and mobilization, as well as experience working with contractors.
- The candidate must demonstrate a proven passion for working with the community and possess strong detail orientation and problem-solving skills.
Commensurate with experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Water Resources Management, Water Engineering, Civil Engineering, Biosystems Engineering, or a closely related field.
- Experience designing water supply systems using design applications such as AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, GIS and GPS applications, WaterCAD, Epanet, Protastructure, etc.
- Proven experience supervising geophysical surveying as well as drilling and construction works.
- Technologically oriented with excellent computer skills, including proficiency in email and Microsoft Office software.
- Driver’s license.
- Ability to commit to flexible working hours.
- Native level Chichewa (reading, writing, speaking).
- Fluent spoken and written English.
As an international organization that works across three continents, our teams are required to maintain daily communication, at flexible hours, with one another using technology solutions, including WhatsApp, Skype, and Zoom. Our ideal candidate thrives in this type of fast-paced environment and is comfortable working with a diverse international team located in various time zones.
- Please send your cover letter and CV as a single PDF attachment to [email protected].
- The file name should be saved as your full name.
- Kindly write the job title and country for which you are applying to work in the subject line of the email.