Latitude 13 Degrees, A unique African lifestyle Hotel nestled in the leafy lanes of Lilongwe seeks to recruit a suitably qualified and dedicated individual for the position of Hotel General Manager.
We are looking for a strong individual who can lead the business, uphold the company standards and deliver the highest level of customer service we aim to provide. The ideal candidate is trust worthy, honest, independent, and goal-oriented and can multitask. He/she is computer literate and can work under pressure, a team player, service orientated, has excellent attention to detail.
Job Title : General Manager
Purpose Manage Unit
Department : Corporate
Reports To : CEO Africa
Oversees all aspects of Property Management and operations at the hotel in accordance with Company mission statement, including maximization of financial performance, guest satisfaction, staff management and development within established quality standards. Responsible for the hiring, training and discipline of all hotel staff.
The General Manager is responsible for all aspects of operations at the hotel, day-to-day staff management and guest satisfaction. He/she should be an ambassador for the brand and the hotel. He/she should provide leadership and strategic planning to all departments in support of our service culture, maximizing operations and guest satisfaction. He/She worksvery closely with the CEO Africa and the Corporate team.
Responsible for managing the Hotels management team (HOD’s) and overall hotel targets to deliver an excellent Guest experience.
The General Manager would also be required to manage the balance between profitability and guest satisfaction measures.
Duties and Responsbilities
- Oversee the operations functions of the hotel, as per the Organizational chart.
- Responsible for the good quality of the operational services render to our guests.
- Being fully knowledgeable about Latitude brand, philosophy and product offering (rates, packages, services, promotions.)
- Being present at the hotel and interact regularly with Guests
- Lead by example by maintaining decorum and exemplary conduct
- Have an active role in driving sales and develop strategies to maximise hotel revenue
- Hold daily, weekly and monthly briefings and meetings with all head of departments.
- Ensure full compliance to Hotel operating controls, SOP’s, policies, procedures and service standards.
- Lead all key property issues including capital projects, customer service and refurbishment.
- Handle complaints and oversee the service recovery procedures.
- Responsible for the preparation, submission, presentation and subsequent achievement of the hotel’s annual Operating Budget, Marketing & Sales Plan and Capital Budget.
- Manage on-going profitability of the hotel, ensuring revenue and guest satisfaction targets are met and exceeded.
- Ensure all decisions are made in the best interest of the hotels and management.
- Deliver hotel budget goals andset other short- and long-term strategic goals for the property.
- Develop improvement actions, carry out costs savings.
- Have a strong understanding of all hospitality standard operational, accounting and financial reports such as but not limited to :P&L statements and the ability to react with impactful strategies
- Closely monitor thehotels business reports daily and take decisions accordingly.
- Ensure that monthly financial outlooks for Rooms, Food & Beverage, Admin & General, are on target and accurate.
- Maximize room yield and hotels revenue through innovative sales practices and yield management programs.
- Prepare a monthly financial report for the owners and stakeholders.
- Draw up plans and budget (revenues, costs, etc.) for the owners.
- Help in the procurement of operating supplies, equipment, and contract with third-party vendors for essential equipment has and services.
- Act as a final decision maker in hiring of key Team Members with the support of the Human Resource department.
- Analyse hotel revenue and labour reports, making strategic suggestions as necessary to ensure maximum efficiency and profitability.
- Ensure passing health inspections conducted by outside sources in all areas, and comply with all regulatory agency requirements to maintain required permits and/or licenses.
- Coordination with HOD’s for the execution of all activities and functions.
- Oversee and manage all departments and work closely with department heads daily. Superseding if and where needed.
- Manage and develop the Hotel Executive team to ensure career progression and development.
- Be accountable for responsibilities of department heads and take ownership of all guest complaints.
- Provide effective leadership to hotel team members.
- Lead in all aspects of business planning.
- Respond to audits to ensure continual improvement is achieved.
- Corporate client handling and take part in new client acquisition along with the sales team whenever required.
- Assisting in residential sales as and when required and development of strong sales prospects.
- Responsible for safeguarding the quality of operations (internal & external audits).
- Responsible for legalization, Occupational Health & Safety Act, fire regulations and other legal requirements.
- Responsible for the maintenance and preventive maintenance of the hotel.
- A hospitality related degree or diploma, such as hotel management BA or preferably an MBA in hospitality management.
- At least 15 to 20 years’ experience in the hospitality industry, with significant luxury and international experience, ideally including experience in remote locations. 5 to 10 years of experience as a General Manager or Asst. General Manager.
- International experience required.
- African experience required.
Skills and Abilities
- The ideal candidate is a seasoned and highly intelligent hotel professional with outstanding management skills and extensive hands-on experience. Available to work when needed, including weekends, holidays, and nights.
- To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility in a safe and satisfactory manner, and the individual must be punctual and have a good attendance record.
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Must be able to work effectively in a stressful environment, communicate well with others, effectively deal with guests, and accept constructive criticism from supervisors.
- Must be able to change activity frequently and cope with interruptions and multiple projects.
- A in hospitality management is a minimum requirement.
- B.A. in hospitality management preferable.
- Requires an occupationally significant combination of vocational education, apprentice training, on-the-job training, and essential experience in less responsible hotel skill level and management positions.
- Language Skills: General Managers must have developed language skills to the point to be able to:
- Read and interpret documents in English such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals, newspapers, periodicals, journals, and manuals.
- Write routine reports, correspondence, business letters, summaries, and reports in English using prescribed format, and conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction, and style.
- Ability to speak effectively in English before groups such as customers or employees.
- Computer Skills:
- General Managers must have sufficient computer skills (Microsoft and Oracle Suite) that will allow them to be able to use, in a proficient manner, all Company-issued software programs implemented at the hotel, including but not limited to the following:
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Teams
- Yield Management Systems programs
- Property Management System (PMS) programs
- Daily Revenue System (DRS) programs
- Central Reservation System programs
- Payroll programs
- Company-issued internet browser programs
- Company-issued electronic mail programs
Note: Company-issued software programs implemented at a particular LHG hotel may be changed from time to time; the General Manager is required to learn the new programs and upgrades as soon as practicable after such items are provided to the hotel.
- Reasoning Ability: General Managers must have developed reasoning abilities to the point to be able to:
- Apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Use mathematical skills to interpret financial information and prepare budgets.
- Read and interpret business records and statistical reports.
- Make business decisions based on production reports and similar facts, as well as on their own experience and personal opinions.
- Work may require weekend and/or evening work.
- Work requires willingness to work a flexible schedule.
- Ability to travel up to 50% annually, including weekends and holidays.
I have carefully read and understand the contents of this job description. I further understand that Management reserves the right to revise this job description to ensure the efficiency and quality of the department and the hotel.
How to apply
All applications should be emailed to:
Email: [email protected]
Closing Date: February 26, 2021