Find Your Feet (FYI) is a local NGO dedicated to working with poor, rural communities to create lasting solutions to poverty. FYF envisions a world in which everyone has the right to build a future free from hunger and poverty and its mission is to mobilise local knowledge and skills, and promote the ownership and use of natural resources by poor rural communities in finding sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty and discrimination.
FYI has received funding from World Food Programme (WFP) to implement an Integrated Resilience Project in Balaka for a period of 2 Years (July, 2020-December 2021. The overall objective of the project is to contribute to improved livelihoods and resilience of targeted communities in Balaka District by 2021.
Find Your Feet is, therefore, looking for well-qualified and experienced persons to fill the following position:
POSITION: GENDER AND PROTECTION OFFICER
LOCATION: BALAKA DISTRICT OFFICE
REPORTING TO: DISTRICT COORDINATOR
The main aim of this position is to support developing community-based protection practices, programs, and activities and mainstream gender in all programming focusing on resilience building.
Key responsibilities and Tasks
- Support Gender and Protection programme and the communities to implement protection, GBV and gender related projects and activities.
- Conduct capacity building/trainings for staff and communities in implementation of minimum standards and various Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs) on gender and protection
- Coordinate and monitor all gender and protection activities in the field, ensuring quality implementation and achievements of results by communities.
- Undertake regular travels to field locations to conduct monitoring visits, activities and/or provide technical support to the communities.
- Ensure smooth implementation of the direct implementation components of the gender and protection programme including complaints and feedback mechanism
- In case of delays and concerns relating to implementation, raise red flags to the relevant stakeholders.
- Attend the field coordination meetings in collaboration with the other program teams.
- Perform any other gender and protection activities as requested by the Coordinator.
- Facilitate to mainstream protection and gender into program implementation processes.
- Provide advice and support to the Project Officers, Field Facilitators and communities on gender sensitive project design, implementation and monitoring.
- Support the programme team on establishing a gender-sensitive accountability mechanism for beneficiaries.
- Contribute to the gender and protection mainstreaming efforts for the other sectors (i.e. livelihoods, health and WASH).
- Support in developing training materials, modules and monitor staff on mainstreaming gender and appropriate application of the skills acquired through trainings, include planning, evaluative monitoring and reporting.
- Support capacity building of the office staff and community members in the fields of gender and protection mainstreaming.
- Representation, Coordination and Reporting in relation to Gender and Protection activities
- Support partners NGOs in maintaining a safe and confidential record keeping system and making sure referral of cases are confidential, safe and in a timely manner;
- Support/help to prepare partner organizations monthly reports and specific reports on gender and protection.
- Review and improve the quality of organization’s existing data collection tools/databases/ reporting templates on gender and protection specific activities.
- Provide support in reviewing monitoring and evaluation reports as well as conducting gender and protection related assessments.
- Ensure close coordination with the M&E team to report quality data for gender and protection related outputs.
- Knowledge management and knowledge sharing
- Update internal documents regarding gender and share those with the team and stakeholders.
- Keep track of gender and protection related issues in the district and inform the team on changing vulnerabilities.
- Write success stories related to programme and project developments as they relate to gender equality and protection issues.
- Support the line manager in developing technical materials, SOPs, capacity building and tools.
- Provide assistance in data collection, compiling lessons learned, establishing indicators to support knowledge sharing
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills;
- Effective procurement and contract management skills;
- Excellent skills MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Power point;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities.
- Bachelor Degree in a relevant field (Social Science, Public Administration, Business Administration, Developmental Studies)
Experience & Technical Skills
- 2 years of experience in gender programming, including significant experience on GBV, women’s voice and/or economic empowerment
- Proven skills in partnership building, influencing and negotiation with a range of actors
How to apply
Applications must include a motivation letter, an updated CV, names and contact details of three traceable referees and photocopies of certificates.
Applications should be sent to:
The Executive Director,
Find Your Feet,
P.O. Box 20312,
Closing date: 14th August, 2020
Find Your Feet is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged