VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
Reporting to the Chief of Party, he/she shall be responsible for day-to-day finance operations and related controls. To manage in country finance statutory requirements, including tax and statutory reporting. Ensure production of accurate internal financial data and external financial statutory reports. Compliance with VSO’s accounting practices and tax requirements (both UK and Malawi; promote continued process improvement; and provide user-focused financial services and a strong control environment.
• Qualified accountant (CMA/ACCA/CPA) with strong technical accounting skills.
• Should be a member of ICAM.
• Strong technical accounting skills, especially in relation to UK and Malawi statutory accounting
• Sound knowledge of VAT, taxation and other compliance requirements
• Experience in preparing or managing payroll
• Strong analytical skills and highly numerate
• Strong IT skills, including accounting and reporting packages and especially Excel
• Experience of identifying and implementing process, system and control improvements
• Hands-on, pro-active approach to working; proven to be detail-oriented
• Experience of effectively managing and developing staff
• Experience of building relationships with and managing internal and external stakeholders
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Effective influencing and networking skills
• Ability to work autonomously, using own initiative where needed
• SUN systems / Q&A XL experience
• Experience in the not for profit and International Development sectors
• Able to undertake occasional international travel
This position is open to both National and International.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Start receiving jobs alerts directly to your email