Timeframe: September 1, 2020 – February 28, 2021
Reports to: Finance and Administration Officer
Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Work Hours: Normal SHEAMA Project Work Hours – Monday through Friday
Winrock is a US International Organization seeks a qualified Intern eager to gain experience working on a dynamic Strengthening Higher Education Access in Malawi project based in Lilongwe.
- Accounts Payable: Assist FAO to generate, record, execute and reconcile payments through all stages, including preparation of purchase orders, generation of check and wire requests, data input into QuickBooks, and bank statement reconciliation.
- Accounts Receivable: Assist FAO to develop monthly projections for cash flow needs and prepare request to Winrock; follow through receipt of funds and bank reconciliations.
- Expense Reporting: Help review all expense receipts for accuracy, relevance, and legitimacy; create prescribed monthly expense reports for Winrock HO.
- Payroll: Help review staff timesheets for proper signatures and allocation information. Calculate, execute and record all salaries and accrual/use of fringe, including monthly amounts, bonus, gratuity, etc. in compliance with signed Employee Agreements. Maintain all records in accordance with Winrock, donor and Malawi requirements.
- Bank Reconciliations: Help reconcile all banks accounts and petty cash no less than monthly and report any discrepancies to FAO.
- Grants Management: Review sub grant fiscal reports for compliance with budget and documentation requirements; prepare detail and summary reports for Winrock HO.
- Donor fiscal requirements: Assist in the preparation of SDC financial reports, requested projections, estimates, VAT tax forms, budget modification requests, etc. on routine schedule and as requested by FAO.
- Records Retention: Organize and maintain all finance and administrative records and files in accordance with general audit standards (GAAP) and FAO requirements.
- Audit: Prepare accounting records in accordance with audit standards (and local), and oversee on-site work with auditors, as appropriate.
- Ad hoc reporting: Prepare documents, ad hoc reports and analysis, as requested by FAM.
- Travel: Field trips to Grantee office and program location by public transport.
- FOV (monthly accounting report): Assist the FAO to prepare soft copy of the monthly FOV. Ensure all supporting receipts are in English and compile and prepare for submission the hard copy of FOV with all necessary documents. Assist in implementing and maintaining in-country policies, procedures, forms, and record maintenance systems that adhere to Winrock International and USAID standards and requirements.
- Other: Other duties as assigned by the FAO.
Contractual: Stipend provided to cover basic expenses – travel, lunch, incidentals.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance or relevant subject, with at least one year of accounting coursework
- Some office work experience involving procurements, preparation of payments, payment vouchers, and experience making journal entries in computer-based accounting systems essential
- Some experience using Quickbooks or other accounting software
- Clear knowledge about procurement procedures;
- Prior experience in invoice, procurement and financial management;
- Good analytical and communication ability both in English.
- Planning principles and processes
How to Apply
Submit your applications through [email protected]