With funding from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Nascent Solutions is implementing a five year McGovern-Dole International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Project in central and southern Malawi. The project is designed to improve the literacy of schoolage children through improved literacy instruction, student attentiveness and student attendance. It also seeks to increase the use of positive health and dietary practices. Nascent Solutions is, therefore, seeking two qualified candidates for the position of Education and Literacy Officer who will be responsible for the implementation of education and literacy programming under the project.
Position: Education and Literacy Officers (2 posts)
Location : Lilongwe (1) and Blantyre (1)
Type of employment: Salaried, fulltime fixed contract
Reporting : Reports to the Education and Literacy Advisor
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical support to relevant education officials and school governance structures in impact districts towards enhancing enrollment rate, retention, transition and completion, academic performance and early grade reading.
- Work closely with district education sector stakeholders (DEYS, CPEAs, and PEAs) to strengthen in-service teacher training and classroom observation focused on literacy instruction targeting STDs 1-4 learners.
- Provide technical input on training content for school governance structures, headteachers and teacher professional development activities as well as roll out the trainings.
- Collaborate with other partners and local structures to sensitize, mobilize and develop capacity of communities to support out-of-school literacy interventions, for example, reading camps.
- Participate in networking activities and nurture partnerships with stakeholders to promote sustainable approaches for improving learning outcomes in schools and the community.
- Ensure education activities are closely integrated with other project areas including governance, gender, agriculture, health and nutrition and water, ,sanitation and hygiene (WASH) activities.
- Provide technical support on programmatic effectiveness and document project lessons, submit success stories, prepare high quality technical reports and deliverables as per Nascent Solutions and USDA expectations.
- Work with the other technical team members to identify business development opportunities and concept notes in the education sector.
- Develop annual performance plans.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by management.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Early Grade Literacy, or Child Development. Three (3) years working experience in coordinating education or literacy interventions within an INGO environment.
- Teaching or teacher training experience will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of current trends in education development, particularly in early grade.
- Experience with supervision or coaching of teachers, and familiarity with teacher coaching models, training of trainers (ToT) models, or ability to present professional trainings to groups of teachers
- Proven experience in supporting family/community and local stakeholders engagement in support of children’s reading outcomes
- Exceptional skills in facilitation and training.
- Ability to travel to impact districts 40% of the time or whenever need be.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Chichewa
- Independent thinker, ability to identify potential problems and offer solutions
- Computer proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Excel is, a prerequisite
- Ability to work and perform in a team set-up.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, CV and indicate salary expectation to:
Email: [email protected]
Please indicate “Education and Literacy Officer” in the email subject line. CVs without cover letters will not be considered. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Closing date for applications is 10th September 2020.