Job Title: Director of Financial Management & Operations
Organisation: FHI 360 Malawi
Category: NGO jobs in Malawi
The Financial Management and Operations Director will be responsible for financial management and administrative aspects of the project, including budget development and monitoring, prime award monitoring and compliance, sub award management and procurement, logistics. The Financial Management and Operations Director will establish and maintain sound financial management practices and ensure the project’s compliance with FHI 360 and USAID procedures, rules and regulations. The position will be based in Zomba, Malawi and will report to the Chief of Party.
- Provide leadership to finance and operations aspects of the project, including general administrative processes, financial management, sub-award management, accounting and logistics
- Establish and maintain sound and transparent accounting and fiscal control procedures for financial, sub-award and operations aspects of project
- Ensure compliance of financial and operations systems with FHI 360 policies and procedures, USAID rules and regulation, award requirements, and Government of Malawi laws
- Develop, analyze and monitor program budgets; monitor and track obligations and expenditures against budgets
- Maintain accurate financial pipeline reports and other monthly financial reports for internal analysis and tracking purposes to be reviewed with the Chief of Party and other relevant FHI 360 staff members
- Provide technical assistance, as needed, to local partners on financial compliance and reporting
- Prepare and submit annual and quarterly financial and accrual reports to USAID
- Contribute to the development of high-quality work plans, quarterly and annual reports, financial reports, and any other reports required by USAID
- Liaise with internal and external auditors in the review of project financial management
- Liaise with the FHI 360 Office of Compliance and Internal Audit to improve necessary documentation and or answers to questions arising from internal and external reviews or audits
- Ensure that all operational functions are effectively coordinated. Oversee human resources, finance and accounting, operations, contracts and grants and IT functions for the project
- Support the Contracts Management Services department and Chief of Party to ensure proper interpretation of the award instruments when entering into financial obligations or any other contracting actions
- A Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or other relevant field; or Bachelor’s or certified accounting degree with 10 years experience.
- CPA, ACCA, ACA, ICAN, CIMA or any other relevant professional certification/qualification is preferred
- Minimum 8 years of relevant experience in accounting, operations and financial management, of large-scale, complex, international development assistance programs
- Demonstrated supervisory experience, interpersonal skills, oral and written presentation skills in English and team building experience
- Familiarity with USAID and other US Government organizations’ rules and regulations is required
- Demonstrated experience and skills in developing and managing large budgets, including proficiency in relevant computer applications, databases and automated accounting software systems and spreadsheets.
- Three to five years of relevant grants and contract management experience, including experience enhancing financial management capacity of civil society organizations.
- Knowledge of USG cost principles, including USAID regulations, GAAP accounting rules
- Excellent analytical, numerical and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge in generally-accepted accounting principles, budgeting and fiscal control
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as MS Word and MS PowerPoint, with an expert knowledge of MS Excel
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.