Based in: Lilongwe, Malawi
Project Description: World Education, Inc. (WEI) seeks candidates for a Finance and Operations Director for an anticipated USAID-funded Early Grade Reading (EGR) project in Malawi. The project aims to improve early grade reading outcomes in primary schools nationwide, building upon USAID’s current investments in Malawi’s National Reading Program.
Position Description: The Finance and Operations Director will report to the Chief of Party and is responsible for overseeing the program finances and other operations and administrative duties. S/he will serve in the project office’s senior management team, directing the Malawi finance team to implement the project. S/he is responsible for ensuring that the project functions efficiently and effectively in all financial, administrative, and operational matters. S/he ensures that the project consistently and correctly implements sound financial, contractual, and administrative operating systems, and that project activities are implemented in compliance with the USAID rules and regulations and World Education policies.
- Oversee the implementation of WEI’s financial and administrative policies and procedures in the program;
- Support and supervise staff to carry out day-to-day finance and administration functions;
- Ensure complete documentation, stewardship, and accountability of financial transactions;
- Establish and monitor implementation of WEI’s financial management and tracking systems to ensure strong financial responsibility;
- Oversee and review the work plan budgeting, budget tracking, and financial communication/reporting process and systems;
- Provide accurate and timely financial information to the management and project team for decision making;
- Ensure management and compliance of the award in line with financial requirements for USAID rules and regulations, World Education policies and procedures, and the laws of the government of Malawi;
- Ensure that the operational policies of the office, including security, HR, procurement, inventory and IT, are in compliance with project and donor policies and implemented effectively;
- Provide training and/or guidance to staff on financial controls and operational systems.
- Develop the capacity of administrative staff, district-based project staff, partner organizations, and MoEST officials to ensure compliance with financial policies and procedures;
- Coordinate with MoEST at a central and regional level to prepare, implement and report on financial and operations aspects of project interventions;
- Oversee the awardee process including the sub-partner management and monitoring mechanism.
- Assessment of the financial capacities of potential sub-partners and provision of technical assistance to the awardees as may be required;
- Review of sub-partner reports for accuracy and compliance with the terms of the subaward agreement;
- Oversee annual external audits for the project and for partners as required.
- Advanced degree (MA preferred) in management or business-related field with a minimum of 7 years professional experience in project financial and administrative management;
- Proven experience (3+ years preferred) with USAID / USG funded program administration, extensive knowledge of USAID / USG financial management rules, regulations, and reporting requirements;
- Demonstrated ability to work with cooperating partners and government stakeholders at both a national and regional level to implement a complex project in the field under challenging circumstances;
- Significant grants management and monitoring experience preferred;
- Proficiency in relevant computer applications and databases;
- Demonstrated strong analytical, managerial, leadership, communications, and interpersonal skills;
- Prior work in Malawi or in Sub-saharan Africa is required; Malawian candidates are strongly encouraged to apply;
- Professional proficiency in English writing, oral presentation, and communication skills are essential; Working knowledge of a Chichewa language is preferred.
How to apply
Must send a CV and a cover letter by email to:
Email: [email protected]
by April 19, 2021. Please reference the position of interest in the subject line.