EGPAF seeks to fill the following open positions:
Position : Database Officer
Reports to : Malawi Health Data Lake – Team Lead
Location : Lilongwe
Post type : National
The Database officer will join the Malawi Health Data Lake team and will be involved in the development, maintenance and support of various data management solutions.
The Essential Duties and Responsibilities will include but not limited to;
- Designing and maintaining data systems and database solutions (data lifecycle management) i.e. data preparation, collection, transfer, storage, modelling and visualization with technologies such as python, R, Java, Ruby, network protocols and SQL/NoSQL databases.
- Build the infrastructure and logic required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) of data from a wide variety of data sources.
- Database performance tuning, installations, Patching, monitoring, backups
- End to end reconciliation between data sources from different databases
- Automation of routine activities
- Incident Management and Documentation
- Create user accounts and ensure users access data concurrently, in a form that suits their needs
- Be part of architecture, IT and analytic teams to own and implement an end-to-end data strategy from data extraction, ingestion and processing to output into business tools.
- System Integrations
Required Qualifications, Skills and attributes
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, Health informatics or any related field.
- At least three years hands-on experience with software development/database management in a busy environment
- Strong math and analytical skills are essential to complete job requirements successfully
- Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc. is an added advantage
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases including knowledge of NoSQL databases such as CouchDB, Cassandra, MongoDB, etc.
- A successful history of data mining, manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Proficiency in popular coding languages such as Python, R, Java, Ruby and C++ and frameworks or systems such as AngularJS and Git
- Linux OS proficiency with strong shell Scripting knowledge and experience
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Database administration (installations, monitoring, performance tuning, backups, etc.)
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Knowledge of data warehouse and data lake technologies
- Those with a software development background will have an added advantage.
- Team player
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines while producing quality content.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, oral, presentation, written communication and analytical skills.
- Willing to work long hours & weekends if necessary
Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified individuals are welcome to apply. Interested qualified candidates should send their expressions of interest enclosing copies of their certificates and a detailed current Curriculum Vitae including names and contacts of at least three traceable referees, and indicating their availability to take up the position using the following link:
Closing date: 30 November 2020