MAC-Communicable Diseases Action Centre (MAC-CDAC) is an institution under the College of Medicine that works with Ministry of health, local and international health agencies to address priority health problems such as malaria, HIV/AIDS, maternal and child health, neglected tropical diseases and other communicable diseases. Focusing on operational and evidence synthesis research, capacity building and training, health care systems strengthening, disease surveillance, and monitoring and impact evaluation, MAC contributes to evidence based policy formulation and health programs
implementation in Malawi and the SADC region. MAC-CDAC requires the services of enthusiastic individual to work in studies operating under the International Centre of Excellence for Malaria Research (ICEMR) project. The project seeks to better understand the persistence of malaria in Malawi
by conducting community-based cohort studies and collecting data in Health Centres.
Based in the field, the Data Officer will liaise with the Data Core team at the MAC regarding technical issues associated with the field-based data collection. They will also be involved with data cleaning and reporting for ICEMR studies.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities of the position will include:
• Acting as a bridge between field team and Data Manager for all field data system needs and during data quality control measures implementation
• Participating in testing of data capture systems
• Supporting users in the use of data capture systems
• Preparing study packages for teams going out to the field (in conjunction with the Data Managers)
• Providing teams with list of houses and individuals to be visited and samples to be collected, including entomology data
• Reviewing data collection on a daily basis, and addressing any deficiencies that are identified in conjunction with the Data Manager
• Uploading and backing up electronically-collected data on a daily basis
• Assisting in site query resolutions
• Facilitating system user Trainings
Technical and Professional Requirements:
To perform these duties, the data officer should be trustworthy and have the following knowledge or abilities:
• Familiarity with some spreadsheet, databases and statistical software packages such as EXCEL, OpenDHS, STATA, SPSS and ODK,
• Knowledge of REDCap
• Good knowledge of information technology appliances
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Ability to develop and maintain good relationships.
• Ability to pay attention to detail.
• Capacity to communicate well in Chichewa and English.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Skill in planning.
• Mature, with good sense of confidentiality.
• Diploma in computer sciences or statistics. Those with Bachelor’s degree in these fields with experience in supporting research studies in data collection and cleaning will have an added advantage.
• Experience working on epidemiological research studies.
The position is available for an initial period of one year; renewable subject to performance and availability of funding. The position will attract a salary with benefits commensurate with experience and qualifications as applicable to contract staff at Malaria Alert Centre, College of Medicine.
Suitably qualified candidates should forward their applications together with copies of relevant certificates, detailed CVs and names of three traceable referees to:
College of Medicine
Electronic submissions should be sent to the following email address: [email protected] and [email protected] by 31 st October 2020
Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
Start receiving jobs alerts directly to your email