VSO is an innovative International development organisation that contributes towards addressing poverty and disadvantage through the placement of International and National skilled professional volunteers with national partners. In order to deliver our mandate, VSO Malawi seeks to recruit a Construction Project Manager who will manage and oversee the construction of classrooms in close collaboration with Ministry of Education Science and Technology (MoEST). The position will be based in Lilongwe and will report to the Chief of Party; Unlocking Talent (UT) Project.
- Review and amend existing drawings and bills of quantities, in collaboration with project stakeholders.
- Closely liaise with VSO staff, MoEST and donor counterparts in improving existing construction designs to optimize on inclusive education and environmentally friendly infrastructure designs.
- Lead in the development and running of construction tenders to appoint appropriate contractors to
undertake construction or refurbishment of Learning Centers under the UT Project.
- Work with VSO procurement and project managers to ensure all digital education technology
equipment for the project is procured in good time and is available when needed.
- Oversee construction and verify construction integrity on all critical civil works points ensuring
standards are set and remain high.
- Plan monthly expected spend and apply through VSO’s systems
- Prepare and support processing of payments to contractors including signing-off on completed tasks.
- Participate in donor meetings and monthly team meetings, updating progress and expenditure.
- Minimum of a BSc in Civil Engineering or related fields.
- Minimum of 5 years practical experience in the building construction sector in Malawi.
- Extensive contract management experience of complexed construction projects
- Self-starter; able to identify relevant contacts and quickly determine own work plan.
- Strong communication, organizational and representation skills.
- Able to react to events and adjust accordingly.
- Willingness to travel within Malawi on a regular basis.
- A valid drivers’ license
If you meet the above requirements, please find more details about the position and how to apply
from the following web address: https://www.vsointernational.org/about/careers. To submit your
application, click on ‘Apply now’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form. Kindly
ensure that you have attached your latest detailed CV. The position is open to Malawian Nationals only.
Applications to reach us on or before 4th September, 2020.