The National Construction Industry Council (NCIC) was created by Malawi Government through an Act of Parliament (Cap 53:05) of the Laws of Malawi to regulate, promote and develop the Construction Industry in Malawi. The Council is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of Company Secretary and Legal Services Manager (Grade NC3) tenable at the National Construction Industry Council Headquarters in Lilongwe. This position reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer and is on permanent and pensionable terms.
Position: Company Secretary & Legal Services Manager (Grade NC3)
Purpose of the Job
To ensure the Council’s business is transacted within the precepts of the laws of Malawi, the NCI Act and other relevant legal frameworks.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks include the following:
- Participating in developing directorate’s plans, monitoring strategies, programmes, projects, procedural rules and budgets based on priorities within allocated resources
- Interpreting relevant laws in respect to the business transactions of the Council
- Developing and reviewing of laws pertaining to the Construction Sector
- Attending to hearing processes and arbitrating on Construction Regulatory disputes and complaints
- Processing and evaluating the legality of codes of ethics and other documents of the Council, including reviewing complaints received by the Council
- Undertaking legal research and drafting bye laws pertaining to the Construction Industry with reference to the mandate of the Council
- Advocating the use of appropriate complaint handling procedures and stakeholder feedback process
- Drafting and reviewing regulations for the Industry and liaising with Ministry of Justice and Constitutional affairs for processing.
- Representing the Council on legal matters including dispute resolution, contract negotiations and litigation involving Government and other stakeholders
- Preparing periodic reports
- Performing company secretarial duties to the Board of Directors including minute taking of Board and Sub Committees proceedings
- Carry out any related duties delegated from time to time
Minimum Education Qualification and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Law plus four (4) years’ experience at the bar.
- Must demonstrate thorough knowledge of the construction sector
- A team player with high level of integrity
- Excellent communication skills
The desired attributes:
The applicant should have:
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to deliver high quality work within strict deadlines and with minimal supervision
- Good judgment and ability to articulate issues
- Good analytical skills Self-driven individual with ability to collect, collate and store information.
This position attracts a competitive remuneration package. Only candidates who strictly meet the above requirements should apply.
How to apply
Applications including detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) should reach the office of the Chief Executive Officer by 13th November 2020. Only short listed candidates will be acknowledged.
The Chief Executive Officer
National Construction Industry Council