Employer: FHI 360 Malawi
Job Title: Communications Officer
Category: NGO jobs in Malawi
Reporting to the Senior Program Officer—Capacity Strengthening and Program Management, the Ccommunications Officer will lead in the development and implementation of a communication strategy for the project. The key roles will focus on developing and delivering clear, concise and coordinated messaging for different audiences across multiple communication vehicles including print, audio-visual and digital platforms. The Communications Officer serves as project communications focal point for media and public information issues, assists in planning and managing events, including key meetings. Overall, the Communications Officer assists the unit lead in meeting all communications deliverables, including planning, budgeting and monitoring and evaluation of communications.
Specific job functions
- Oversee the editing, design and packaging of project reports, information briefs, newsletters, fact sheets, presentations and other information materials in print and electronic formats for different audiences.
- Work with program Learning and Knowledge Management Officer and other program teams, including the District Coordinators, to proactively write success stories, lessons learned, best practices and other materials that document the achievements and impact of programs interventions.
- Lead the design and maintain the project web-portal, including generation, preparation and editing of content in collaboration with the other members of the technical team.
- Manage the project’s social media, including Facebook and Twitter
- Work with the program team to ensure EMPOWER communications and knowledge products are uploaded to USAID’s Development Exchange Clearinghouse, FHI 360 knowledgebase and other platforms as appropriate.
- Provide technical support, including training, to program staff on communications, ensuring that reports and other products and processes align with FHI 360’s and donor guidelines.
- Provide in-house editorial support, including editing and proofreading, to ensure high-quality reports.
- Provide technical support to staff and partners to ensure adherence to FHI 360 and EMPOWER branding and marking requirements.
- Assist EMPOWER Malawi team to develop and maintain a sound media relations strategy that promotes EMPOWER and the Prime Award’s work in Malawi.
- Participate in the identification and pursuit of potential opportunities to promote EMPOWER work, including through events, meetings and conferences.
- Create and maintain a stakeholder database and mailing list/s.
- Liaise with Library services in FHI HQ to access relevant information and provide the same to program and research staff including literature searches when requested.
Qualifications, Applied Knowledge & Skills:
. Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent in English, Journalism, Public Relations, or related field.
- 5-8 years of writing, editing, publications and production experience.
- Articulate, professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients/stakeholders and staff.
- Excellent communication both in written and verbal English
- Prior experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO).
- Creative, innovative and detail- oriented.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects to meet short deadlines.
- Expertise in Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop, Photography and/or videography skills a plus.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time