AFIDEP is seeking a highly qualified and self-motivated candidate to fill the positions of Communications Intern with a possibility of extension to Communications Officer. The Communications Intern will support our communications team in the implementation of the Institute’s policy engagement and communications strategy with a focus to raise AFIDEP’s profile and enhance the role of research evidence in development processes in Africa.
Position: Communications Intern
- Writing and editing: Participate in the writing, editing, and production of institutional publications and communications products such as the E-news, blogs, news articles
- Publications design: Design of in-house products and institutional publications
- Media engagement and monitoring: Participate in media engagement activities that promote coverage and assist to keep track of media coverage of AFIDEP’s work
- Website management
- Events/meetings: Provide communications support to AFIDEP events and meetings.
- Database management: mailing lists, key contacts and partners; Photography and Videos. Taking, editing and proper storage of photos/videos for easy retrieval for future use.
- Social media: Drafting of content and management of AFIDEP’s social media accounts
- Responding to queries about AFIDEP and its work
Qualifications, Skills and Competencies:
- At least a degree in Communications, Media or International Relations
- At least 2 years’ experience in communications, or experience in the media.
- Good communicator, passionate about writing and editing especially of research and policy-oriented publications, as well as media products
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills
- Technologically savvy, with good knowledge of HTML, social media tools, specifically: Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, WordPress, Google docs, Dropbox, etc.
- Basic Adobe suite skills (preferred).
- Strong knowledge of CMS systems (WordPress)
- Understanding of printing and video/film production processes
- Ability to negotiate and form credible relationships within the organisation as well as with senior decision-makers in external institutions
- Have the ability to meet deadlines, be a team player with good interpersonal skills
How to apply:
Applications are invited to send a cover letter illustrating suitability and motivation statement on the role of no more 500 words and curriculum vitae by 7th February 2019 to:
Email: [email protected]
Please indicate Communications Interns in the email subject line. We invite you to learn more about AFIDEP on our website https://www.afidep.org/.