PAID INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY:
Status innovation Limited under Status projects sector is hiring.
Are you a young woman or man of Malawian nationality and you are aged between 18 to 30 with a background in community development and you are based in Mzuzu? then this opportunity is for you.
Assistant community development officer
As a community development worker, you’ll help communities to bring about social change and improve the quality of life in their local area. You might work with individuals, families or whole communities empowering them to:
1. Identify their assets, needs, opportunities, rights and responsibilities.
2, Plan what they want to achieve and take appropriate action.
3.develop activities and services to generate aspiration and confidence.
A good deal of the work is project based, which means you’ll usually have a specific geographical community or social group to focus on. Tasks involve:
1. Identifying community skills, assets, issues and needs.
2. Ensuring that local people have their say.
3. Developing new resources in dialogue with the community and evaluating existing programmes.
4. Building links with other groups and agencies.
5. Helping to raise public awareness on issues relevant to the community.
6. Preparing reports and policies.
7. Raising and managing funds.
8. Developing and implementing strategies.
9. Liaising with interested groups and individuals to set up new services
10. Mediating in matters of conflict.
11. Recruiting and training paid and voluntary staff.
12. Planning, attending and coordinating meetings and events.
13. Overseeing the management of a limited budget
14. Encouraging participation in activities
15. Challenging inappropriate behavior
16. General administrative duties.
Qualification and skills:
• Certificate or Diploma in Community development or its equivalent studies.
• 1-2 years of experience working with communities or in a related work force.
• 1-2 years of experience working with youth, women’s project or young people.
• Be fluent in local languages; Chichewa or Tumbuka.
• Have preliminary knowledge in using Microsoft office packages such as Microsoft word, excel and power point.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication and team building skills.
• Have a good command of English language; written and spoken.
• Advocacy and networking skills
• Good listening skills
• Research and report-writing skills, and the ability to interpret or present data
• Knowledge and understanding of community and social issues
• A non-judgmental and positive attitude.
• Creative thinking and problem-solving ability.
• Political, social and negotiating skills.
• An understanding of how public sector bodies work
• Compassion and the ability to empathize with people’s life experiences.